I am holding a promissory note from my ex-husband. Original amount was $38,000.00. About 15,000.00 is still outstanding and 4 months past the date of payment. I am thinking about taking action as he owns property and I cannot stay in contact with him just to collect the money. Is this a Superior Court matter or a Small Claims Court matter. I'm assuming I need a court judgement to place a lien on his property. I also assume once I have the judgement and lien against him I can leave the area and someday I'll get the money providing I leave a paper trail so I can be contacted when the money is available.
Thanks for any advice available.