Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    crystalrose86's Avatar
    crystalrose86 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Nov 8, 2006, 02:41 PM
    Damage to city property due to car accident
    In December of 2003, while driving, I got into a car accident. My back tires hit a patch of ice, and I swerved into the oncoming traffic, so I reacted quickly and wound up jumping a curb, sliding across a fence, and then the car stopped. The fence (chain link) had some minor damage, and my car was scratched a lot, but still driveable.

    As my luck (or lack thereof) would have it, a police officer happened to drive by minutes after the accident. She wrote me a ticket for improper left turn (it was NOT at an intersection), so I fought that ticket and won.

    The city in which the accident happened sent me a bill for the fence, but on it, the quoted a $500 fee for an electrical pole and wires that were downed... Clearly, since I drove the car home that night, and neither me or my passengers were injured I did not do major damage to a pole. Plus, I would remember smashing into a pole.

    Long story short, I made several attempts to contact someone at the city to discuss my discrepancy with the bill, but no one ever returned my calls. The only correspondence I received were a few more letters, and then finally a letter from a collection agency. The agency also hand delivered "court papers" to my house. I may not know much about law, but I do know if those papers were legit it would have had to be sent by registered mail.

    It's now almost 3 years later, and again the collection agency is calling.

    I'm curious if there is a statute of limitations regarding damage to city property, and if so how long is it? Also, I'm curious to if the fact that I was not legally an adult at the time of the accident is relevant?

    Thanks so much,
    excon's Avatar
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

    Nov 8, 2006, 02:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by crystalrose86
    I may not know much about law, but I do know if those papers were legit it would have had to be sent by registered mail.
    Hello crystal:

    Actually, having the papers served personally IS a proper way to obtain legal service. You were probably sued, and a default judgment was entered into against you. With judgment in hand, this collection agency can attach your bank account and garnish your wages.

    Or, maybe you don't have any of those, so that's why they're calling to see if they can shake a few dollars out of you. What are they telling you?


Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fire damage at rental property [ 3 Answers ]

I recently had a fire in my apartment. I was told by the owner of the property that their insurance company is going to sue me for repayment of the damages. What are my rights as a tenant? Can they really sue me?

Little help please - criminal damage to property [ 8 Answers ]

If criminal damage to property occurs to a vehicle driven by a man whose wife holds title and registration to the vehicle and someone is indicted for damaging the property of the man, even though he has no title or legal claim to the vehicle is named solely in the indictment as the property owner,...

City trying to take my car [ 9 Answers ]

Hello everybody, New to the site and looks very imformative. Hopefully someone can help me out here. I live in Van Nuys CA. comfortable little apartment. Been here for 12 years now. My hobby is working on cars so I am usually under the hood of my car. About two months ago, City...

Car Accident [ 2 Answers ]

My Husband Was Involved In An Auto Accident In November 2004 - He Didn't See A Doctor Until December 2004 - Per The Insurance Company He Should Have Seen A Doctor Sooner - Is That Right? Once The Insurance Company Has The Case Open - How Long Does He Have To Settle?

Car accident [ 1 Answers ]

I was in a car accident about a week ago.. Both cars have been ridden off. The other car was speeding and spun my car about . I have been to hospital for spinal checks.. And have been having muscle spasming and panic attacks thinking I was going paralyzed when I felt tingling in my feet. I have...

View more questions Search