Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    MELANIEKAE's Avatar
    MELANIEKAE Posts: 2, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Nov 1, 2018, 11:54 PM
    I would like to know if a person has been convicted of a felony. How would a person go about giving that sentence back to the state? Is that even possible? I do know off a man that was giving a life sentence and he gave it back and is now free man on parole for the rest of his life.Just do not know how he did it. Thanks Melanie
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,304, Reputation: 7692

    Nov 2, 2018, 09:14 AM
    There is no such thing as "given a sentence back"

    After they are sentenced, even to life, they can
    1. appeal the sentence
    2. They can serve an amount of time and then may apply for parole

    Parole is given on most sentences and then they (in the US) parole out to a half way house, family member or special centers for parole.
    ma0641's Avatar
    ma0641 Posts: 15,681, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

    Nov 2, 2018, 02:32 PM
    You don't "give back a sentence". What has occurred is, upon appeal, a case may be returned to the court for an appraisal of punishment if sentencing is at odds with other similar cases or mitigating circumstances were later discovered. For example, there have been cases of voluntary manslaughter convictions being overturned when further investigation discovered the victim may have been more involved in the proceedings than originally indicated and the case was overturned. The person did not get out of jail, they were resentenced for involuntary manslaughter which carried a lower term of incarceration. So, their time spent in jail was considered time served and then they were released on parole.
    talaniman's Avatar
    talaniman Posts: 54,318, Reputation: 10854

    Nov 3, 2018, 11:16 AM
    There is a great possibility that this convict has mislead you regarding the facts of his case, or doesn't understand what happened himself is the simple answer to your question. No, there is no such thing as giving a sentence back, As far as parole for life, it's strictly applied to certain sex offenders to my knowledge, and depends on the state that paroled him, and the felony he was convicted of, so much more details would be necessary for any kind of opinion.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Convicted of a B&E at age 17 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am in NC and my grandson has had a about with law. He was convicted of a B&E at age 17 which he got probation for. Being with the wrong crowd he was convicted again for procession of a fire arm by felon an ankle monitor was placed for 90 days and 44 months probation. Which violated his...

I'm a convicted felon and my fiancée can't be around convicted felons? [ 10 Answers ]

I'm a convicted felon(nothing violent or sexual or drug related)However I have met someone who I am emotionally involved with who got into some recent trouble and is now also a convicted felon on probation. One of the conditions is she is not supposed to be around any other convicted felons or it...

Can a convicted felon become a notary in ga if convicted in La [ 1 Answers ]

I am a legal secretary in Georgia and it appears that my boss is going to ask me to go get my notary public. I have a felony conviction of "Forgery" in Louisiana. Will I be allowed to obtain the notary?

Convicted felon marrying another convicted felon [ 2 Answers ]

Can a convicted felon marry another convicted felon? One is still in prison the other is no longer under supervised release. Both are federal cases.

View more questions Search