Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    adlowe Posts: 28, Reputation: 2

May 22, 2005, 07:20 AM
    New anode rod = foul odor
    With the assistance posted here I was able to remove the old anode rod from my water heater and install a new one. The old one was down to a steel wire -- I have no idea how long it was in there.

Since installing the new one we've been getting a foul odor from the hot water. It has been getting progressively stronger. Since the anode rod was the only change in the plumbing system that coincides with the odor I've decided that it is the cause. (We're on a well. I changed the pressure tank, some galvanized pipe and the element in the sediment filter about two weeks before the anode rod -- no odor problems until a few days after the anode rod change.)

Draining water from the bottom of the water heater showed a marked difference from what I had been getting each month. Normally I get some sediment but mostly clear water. Today I got a spurt of black water, much less sediment and 3 gallons of cloudy water. All of it smelled bad.

The new anode rod was a $20 (or so) aluminum one. I've pulled it and cut off all but 1/2 inch and put the "plug" back. (I know how inportant the anode rod is but my wife cannot tolerate the odor anymore. I will get the rod replaced within a few days.) I'm going to get one of the higher-priced rods (aluminum/tin/zinc alloy) that are better at preventing odor. I'm also going to get a test kit and see if I've got the water softener set too high.

Is there anything else I should check? Is there anything else I should do?

I've read about bacteria colonies that dwell in water heaters and add a sulfur smell to the water. I doubt this is the issue because we had no odor problem before I change the anode rod. Is this a reasonable conclusion?

Another potential clue: The new rod I just removed appears to be coated with a white crust. The coating is pockmarked but generally consistent in thickness. It flaked off in my hand while I was cutting the rod; seemed granular. I do NOT know if it was material forming on the rod or the outer part of the rod corroding away. Should I check further or ignore this?

Thank you.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 22, 2005, 07:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by adlowe
    With the assistance posted here I was able to remove the old anode rod from my water heater and install a new one. The old one was down to a steel wire -- I have no idea how long it was in there.

Since installing the new one we've been getting a foul odor from the hot water. It has been getting progressively stronger. Since the anode rod was the only change in the plumbing system that coincides with the odor I've decided that it is the cause. (We're on a well. I changed the pressure tank, some galvanized pipe and the element in the sediment filter about two weeks before the anode rod -- no odor problems until a few days after the anode rod change.)

Draining water from the bottom of the water heater showed a marked difference from what I had been getting each month. Normally I get some sediment but mostly clear water. Today I got a spurt of black water, much less sediment and 3 gallons of cloudy water. All of it smelled bad.

The new anode rod was a $20 (or so) aluminum one. I've pulled it and cut off all but 1/2 inch and put the "plug" back. (I know how inportant the anode rod is but my wife cannot tolerate the odor anymore. I will get the rod replaced within a few days.) I'm going to get one of the higher-priced rods (aluminum/tin/zinc alloy) that are better at preventing odor. I'm also going to get a test kit and see if I've got the water softener set too high.

Is there anything else I should check? Is there anything else I should do?

I've read about bacteria colonies that dwell in water heaters and add a sulfur smell to the water. I doubt this is the issue because we had no odor problem before I change the anode rod. Is this a reasonable conclusion?

Another potential clue: The new rod I just removed appears to be coated with a white crust. The coating is pockmarked but generally consistent in thickness. It flaked off in my hand while I was cutting the rod; seemed granular. I do NOT know if it was material forming on the rod or the outer part of the rod corroding away. Should I check further or ignore this?

Thank you.
    As a rule it's the magnesium anode rod that causes the bad smell. Replacing with aluminum usually rectifies this problem. You may have got a bad rod. Replacing with a better rod might be the answer. But you should flush out the heater and clean the faucet aeraters. To flush out your heater attach a hose to the boiler drain at the bottom of the tank. With the pressure on, open the boiler drain and let it run until the water runs clear. You will see a spurt of red,(rust) followed by white grains,(lime or calcium carbonate). This shouldn't take more then a few minutes. Do this monthly to keep it clear. Now flush out your hot water lines on ALL fixtures. Now pull each aerator and clean the screens. Be sure you put them back togather the same way you took them out. Don't forget to flush it out every month. Your heater will thank you for it. Let me know how you make out. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water heater anode [ 1 Answers ]

How do I change the anode in my water heater?

Foul odors [ 7 Answers ]

Help- I have a situation where I must create the odor of rotting garbage and human waste. No, this is not a joke, it is a paying job. (Not much, but a job). I need to cover an area about 100' x 100' for 5 seconds or so. I can launch a chemical into the air, fan out a powder, or? Any ideas are...

Anode Rod Popping - white build up [ 1 Answers ]

I recently had an oil fired water heater installed and have been getting some kind of gas in the line ever since. I replaced the magnesium anode rods with aluminum ones and have the same problem( the magnesium rods had a lot of corrosion after 1 month). I have been hearing a popping noise from...

Foul odor = Desulfovibrio [ 2 Answers ]

Dealing with a foul odor from hot water (no problem with cold water) that coincided with installing a new anode rod in the water heater. (Original info here: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=9811&highlight=foul+odor ) Got a "premium" anode rod and had the same problem. Experiments...

Removing anode rod... [ 6 Answers ]

... from a hot water heater shouldn't be this tough? Is there some trick or tool that I need? I put a monkey wrench on it, put a pipe in the wrench and can't budge it; the water heater is rocking but the rod won't come lose. (I have no idea how long it's been in there.) Should I drill a hole...

View more questions Search