Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hmcglynn Posts: 31, Reputation: 7

Oct 17, 2007, 07:43 PM
    Issues with my 11 weeks old.Colic/Lactose/spoiled
    :confused: I've researched the symptoms of colic... she has a lot of them but when I mention it to my fiancé he ignores it and says no she's just spoiled and wants to be held... well usually when an infant has colic I read they have trouble soothing themselves to sleep which makes me believe even more that she has it. I can't just lay her in her crib like I could the first week out the hospital.
    Now if she's not in her swing she will scream bloody murder... she gets so upset... I used to be bale to put her in the bouncy chair but I get the same reaction as the crib so that's pretty much out the window. Sometimes if I swaddle her and she just happens to be so tired and full I can lay her in the crib but other times she screams until I unwrap her and she's fine.
    I've noticed that she's been really gassy lately and switched her to Soy to test it out I held off as long as possible her spitting up is ridiculous at this point along with her constant gas issues. I can't stand it when she's hurting like that. I asked the pediatrician at her 1 month check up if I could switch her to SOY and she said you don't want to do that unless they spit up a lot... well everything she drank yesterday came up she was miserable and... no that wasn't the first time Its just that Its only getting worse. I went back to burping her every 1/2 ounce to see if that would help but it didn't she actually gets pissed when I lay her on my shoulder to burp her. I usually have to bounce her a little on my knee and pat her back.
    She isn't always miserable she actually smiles a lot when she's not hungry and doesn't have gas so I know she wants to just be a happy baby but I just can't figure if its colic or if she's just spoiled. I know people say babies can't be spoiled until their at least 6 months old because they really can't put 2 and 2 together but I find that hard to believe because she knows what she wants sometimes if I just stand and look at her while she's swinging shell stop crying and go back to sleep. Other times if I don't pick her up and walk with her and talk to her she won't go to sleep. Her dad swears up and down she's spoiled but I try really hard not to run to her I am home with her everyday and don't spend a lot of time away from her. (her first word better be mommy!) lol :)

So basically my question is a couple of different things Do you think it was a good idea to switch to Soy to test the waters?

Do you think she might possibly have colic or is she just spoiled?

I'm open for others opinions or suggestions at this point my family thinks they know everything... lol Thanks in advance
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 17, 2007, 08:19 PM
    I had a colicky firstborn. He spent the first three months crying, especially around suppertime when I was busiest. Even holding him didn't always work. My mother told me she and my dad took lots of car rides the first three colicky months of my life. The car vibration soothed me to sleep. I've read that you can wrap a baby snugly in a warm (just out of the dryer) blanket and rock her or set her in her carrier on top of a turned-on dryer (but don't leave her alone there). Those automatic swing contraptions helped soothe my second son, but I felt like I was turning his brain into oatmeal. (He has three master's degrees now, so I guess I didn't.)

Be careful how you hold her when you feed her - more upright than lying down with a good flow of milk if you use a bottle (but not so she gulps). Burp her more often than you do. Baby massage is supposed to help relax the baby.

No matter how you deal with it, it will soon be over. Then you will be frustrated over something else, like she doesn't make enough cooing noises or "talk" much yet or her teeth aren't coming in or she's too chubby/not chubby enough. One day when she's walking down the aisle to get married, it will have all been worth it!
    buggage Posts: 1,514, Reputation: 165
    Ultra Member

Oct 17, 2007, 08:32 PM
    Babies are a wonder and confusement sometimes. One day you think you have them figured out, the next day they completely change your mind and turn the tables on you. Every baby is different. I tend to agree with the " you can't spoil them until 6+months.... however, I also agree that babys definitely know what they want.....they just don't always know how to get it. since they can't talk, their only means of communication is through crying. many babies do get colic, and it is a very painful thing for them. think of how uncomfortable you are when you get a bad case of gas, yet find yourself in public and can't find an easy release, so you gotta hold it (hah, you gotta love my analogies) well, with babies, its not that they want to hold it, but their bodies are still trying to figure out how to work things and its not always an easy thing.... they dont know how to burp on their own most times and need help with patting their back, etc. swaddling works a long time with some babies, and some outgrow it fast. my son was out of it by the time he was 3 weeks old. refused to let me do it anymore. he also had bad gas, and would cry a lot. I would suggest getting Milocone(thing that is the name) its baby formulated gas drops. They can take it as often as they need it, and it works wonders. I personally wouldnt switch baby over to soy unless doctor ordered. it could do just the opposite of what you are trying for, and make things worse. a babys digestive system is a delicate thing. most babies develope certain things that give them comfort, in a big uncertain world. Some are attached to their thumb sucking....some binkis, some bottles, blankets, stuffed animal, sleeping in your arms, hearing familiar sounds while sleeping, just being with their favorite mommy or daddy. at this point, its more out of a need to be fulfilled, then a want, persay. (in otherwords, she's not behaving this way because she is spoiled, but because these are the things she needs to calm herself) babies dont know how to calm themselves at a young age, and as they grow they will learn and discover new methods. however, at 11 weeks, I really dont think you need to worry about her being spoiled. and one things to keep in mind with kids,...... as I mentioned earlier.....one day one thing will work, the next it wont. so just keep trudging on and try everything you can think of. something white noise will help (running water, vacuum cleaning, static on a radio or tv.) also, it could be that she is starting to teeth. My first son started at 3 months, my second started at 2. So you never know. Good luck, and just hang in there. you'll figure things out. as her mommy, you really do know best. just follow your instincts, and remember to take those time outs for yourself as well, when things get too stressful. She will be ok crying for a few moments, if you need to take a breather to regain your calm....just make sure she's in a safe secure environment, and leave the room for a few minutes. if you are like me, those few moments away hearing your baby cry in the other room, will turn your frustration into " oh you poor baby!" and you'll be itching to get back to her. Hah. But then, maybe I'm just weird. ;0) we're always here if you need to chat. Also, trying different burping methods/positions are good, and may help. Laying her across your legs on her tummy, and patting her back, sitting her down on your lap and patting her back, etc. find what position works best,, not all babies are alike.

Oct 18, 2007, 02:03 AM
    Again thanks for the responses so quickly! I use milicon for the gas :) I try several different burp positions until something happens... I know that sometimes they just don't have a burp...
    She definatley has personality somedays she can show it all day and just smile an coo I make noises then she does we go back and forth a lot. She started that around 3 weeks and she has always been wide eyed alert. Lol you should see the pic of her in the car seat leaving the hospital she looks a lot older than a newborn.

I have 2 step daughters 6 and 9 but have only been around them since they were almost 2 and 5 so no they weren't babies but being her mother feels natural I just need to talk to people outside the box sometimes because she's my daughter and I am the final say on what happens you know? Lol She's MINE haha. Yea I'm a goof ball. But I love being a mother of my own (birth) child its great. I just want to make things better for her.

When I get frustrated with her since I'm with her all the time I will lay her in her crib and close the door... I carry her moniter and turn the volume down when she's screaming and watch the red dots light up and down up and down... I start feeling really bad for her but I try to wait at least 5 minutes I've read that 10 to 15min. Is okay too but that seems like years when she really upset... and usually when its time to go to bed she doesn't have the "hurt" cry going it's the I'm tired but don't want to sleep now cry. So basically a wine... she's very dramatic for a little baby... my aunt about died when she saw her throw her head back with that lip hanging down... and I call it her "fake cry" because its not a cry and not a wine... really cute though.

Anyway I lay her in the crib after she's fed and I've tried everything to get her to go back to sleep. She doesn't like sleeping much during the day at all she'll sleep through the night for 6 hours. Sometimes its every 2 to 3 hours and that's when its hard to get her back to sleep.

The reason I was thinking spoiled sometimes is because even though she's fed and doesn't have gas(her belly isn't tight and she's not pulling her legs up and down) when I attempt to lay her down she starts winding up her cry and then I go to pick her up and she's stops immediately... lol I was thinking she was to young to be like that but I figure she can't tell me what's wrong and I know she likes me holding her so I'll do that but other times I'm trying to put the dishes away or sweep the floor I mean I'm home so I have other things to do to it just seems impossible and when daddy comes home its like he doesn't realize how much attention our little one requires throughout thte day. She doenst just sleep like his oldest used to do as babies. She's always smiling at him sometimes even when I'm holding her and she starts crying he talks to her and she stops... that makes me wonder if maybe him not being around much because of work upsets her... that might be possible I guess she sure does smile and even laughs at him its crazy.. makes me a little jealous but we have a lot of our own moments especially on the changing table she talks to me a lot there and then laughs cause I'm just being goofy.

Again thanks so the replies! I appreciate the suggestions and glad I have people to talk to about her and just babies in general.
    And bugg. I did like the comparisons I complete get them and laughed when I read them:) I feel bad every time I walk away from her knwoing she's not happy but I need a few minutes... we try to get out a lot more these days that works in my favor sometimes.. a few times she wanted nothing to do with that car seat while she was in the car.
    buggage Posts: 1,514, Reputation: 165
    Ultra Member

Oct 18, 2007, 09:33 AM
    Do you think perhaps your husband might have a bit of his own jealousy as far as the time that you and baby spend together.perhaps that is why he feels she is spoiled? I know its hard when my hubby has been gone from before sunrise, to way after sun down, and he comes home, I'm exhausted, the kids are whiny, all I want is a break for a few minutes to dump the kids on him, all he wants is to sit down after a long hard day in construction, and there's that conflict there, then there's also the times you get so involved in being mommy and daddy, you kind of neglect your roles of hubby and wife... just make sure you get a date night with just you and hubby now and then, and try not to talk about the kids. Also, its hard for guys to know the work involved with the care of the kids all day, esp when they work all the time, and only see the kiddos when they are cranky, or sleeping etc. anyway, I think your daughter sounds just fine. Spunky, healthy and happy. Its not uncommon for babies to get just plain bored sometimes too. So a change in the monotony of things now and then might help.my hubby has commented on our son once in a while as well, (now 5 months) saying do you think he could be spoiled because he always wants to be held. Well, the thing is, when Jeff is home, he always wants to be held, because he is very attached to his daddy, and sees so little of him. With me, there are days I have to hold him a lot, and days he would prefer to lay on the floor and roll around with his older brother. It just differs.
    automansgirl Posts: 467, Reputation: 42

Oct 18, 2007, 12:33 PM
    The advice from buggage is wonderful as usual. Just thought I'd throw one other suggestion out there. If she is spitting up that much of her food she may have a bit of reflux. It's just like heartburn with adults, so it can be very painful. Try not laying her down and keep her upright for about 15-20 minutes after feedings if possible. Ask your pediatrician about this. A lot more babies have reflux than are diagnosed. Also, if she doesn't like her carseat make sure the straps aren't too tight. Sometimes this will bother them, so they don't want anything to do with being in it.

Oct 20, 2007, 11:23 PM
    When daddy gets home yes it is usually late and he's tired but so am I. the baby starts to cry and I'm like please give me 5 minutes to myself you know... but he's a good sport he tells me to go to the store just so I can get out of the house by myself. Friday nights I go out with my best friend to have a drink with other friends while he watches the baby he gets to go fishing when he wants usually too. We haven't done a lot together per say but we were talking about it and he would like to start going out again soon.
    Sometimes I feel he's jealous of Bailey and My relationship because he's like she's crying for you she wants her mommy... lol and yes sometimes it's a pawn off but other times you can tell in his voice its frustrating to him that he can't get her to be happy.
    I know its different for him with Bailey than his other 2 daughters because he was the one that stayed home with them when they were little so maybe he felt a lot closer possibly. Its hard for him to let me do a lot of things with her with out him getting jealous. I'm obviously a lot different than she was because I want to do more for my child. I have to tell him I'm not her and am capable of taking care of my own daughter.
    He's a great father to all of his little girls. A few years from now we would like to try again for a little boy because this is Grand daughter 5 on his side of the family and 1 on my side... no boys.. haha so yea I want my own little man.

The past few days she hasn't been whining as much and has been sleeping a lot better. Her gas issue is still there a little bit even though we have her on Soy so I guess I'll just have to keep the gas medicine close.

Thanks again for the suggestions and advice its great!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kitten spoiled or lonely? [ 5 Answers ]

I just got my kitten three days ago and everyone has been picking her up a lot. Already she wants to be held all the time. She hates to be alone. She will cry a lot if she is. Is my kitten spoiled because of all the attention or is she just lonley and wants the attention? Please reply. :confused: :

Anger issues and 24 weeks pregnant [ 1 Answers ]

My husband sat me down the other night and told me that I needed to fix a couple of things. He said that he was worried because I have been so angry lately. I don't know if this is happening because I am pregnant (but I am assuming). When we get in the smallest argument I fly off the handle. I...

My baby has colic [ 7 Answers ]

My first son had colic and putting him in the swing really helped him. Now my 3rd child has colic and Nothing works.. . Swinging, rocking, driving in a car, prune juice, infant pain meds. The only thing that has helped a little bit is Karo syrup. Does anyone have any other ideas. She is 5 weeks...

Optimal temperature of Lactose [ 1 Answers ]

What is the approximate optimal temperature that the enzyme lactose works best at to allow expression of beta-galactosidase in bacterial strains?

View more questions Search