Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    texastj's Avatar
    texastj Posts: 3, Reputation: 1
    New Member
     
    #1

    May 4, 2016, 07:40 AM
    Diabetes
    I know this is a weird question but I can't find any info on-line concerning my question. What happens to our body if we take if you inject insulin when you are not a diabetic, what would the symptoms be? I was diagnosed 3.5 yrs ago and take 12 units twice a day, but now out of nowhere I'm not feeling well at all, again, I know its an odd question, but I have a very good reason for asking. Thanks TJ.
    smoothy's Avatar
    smoothy Posts: 25,495, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member
     
    #2

    May 4, 2016, 07:57 AM
    Don't you test yourself every day? I hope you don't simply skip the test.
    J_9's Avatar
    J_9 Posts: 40,250, Reputation: 5641
    Expert
     
    #3

    May 4, 2016, 08:01 AM
    If you inject insulin when not diabetic, you drop your blood glucose level to an unsafe level.

    If you were diagnosed diabetic you should be testing your glucose AC and HS at least.
    tickle's Avatar
    tickle Posts: 23,801, Reputation: 2674
    Expert
     
    #4

    May 4, 2016, 08:02 AM
    You should be testing your glucose level every morning, fasting. Any changes in your diet, your how you feel, as a diabetic, should be discussed with your doctor.
    texastj's Avatar
    texastj Posts: 3, Reputation: 1
    New Member
     
    #5

    May 4, 2016, 08:10 AM
    Normally yes, however I am currently out. But again, I have a reason for asking this question, OK, OK, I know its crazy, but, I am a recent Minister, working on going to seminary school, etc, etc. If the symptoms turn out to be that of a non diabetic taking insulin, then I'm going to the doctor to get retested!!
    talaniman's Avatar
    talaniman Posts: 53,857, Reputation: 10852
    Expert
     
    #6

    May 4, 2016, 08:15 AM
    You should see your doctor immediately for a full range of tests and an accurate diagnosis. What do your own home blood tests indicate about your sugar levels? I cannot imagine being on insulin and NOT having a personal log tracking sugar levels, AND diet, as well as blood testing by your physician every 3 to 6 months as a REGULAR follow-up, and monitoring.

    Even if this feeling awful is not related to your diabetes you still should see your doctor IMMEDIATELY to know for sure what's going on with you. When was your last visit?

    Self diagnosis is dangerous and deadly for a diabetic even if you think you have maintained yourself well enough to get off the insulin shots, so let your doctor confirm your condition, and not the internet, or anyone's (un)informed opinion, who cannot TEST you or have the benefit of your medical history, or PERSONAL statistics or habits.

    Quote Originally Posted by texastj View Post
    Normally yes, however I am currently out. But again, I have a reason for asking this question, OK, OK, I know its crazy, but, I am a recent Minister, working on going to seminary school, etc, etc. If the symptoms turn out to be that of a non diabetic taking insulin, then I'm going to the doctor to get retested!!
    You should have been tested regularly when you were first diagnosed 3 YEARS ago! I suspect that NOT taking your insulin may be the whole problem since you ran out, but AGAIN only a doctor can tell you that for sure.

    Did I say IMMEDIATELY loud enough?
    texastj's Avatar
    texastj Posts: 3, Reputation: 1
    New Member
     
    #7

    May 4, 2016, 08:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    You should see your doctor immediately for a full range of tests and an accurate diagnosis. What do your own home blood tests indicate about your sugar levels? I cannot imagine being on insulin and NOT having a personal log tracking sugar levels, AND diet, as well as blood testing by your physician every 3 to 6 months as a REGULAR follow-up, and monitoring.

    Even if this feeling awful is not related to your diabetes you still should see your doctor IMMEDIATELY to know for sure what's going on with you. When was your last visit?

    Self diagnosis is dangerous and deadly for a diabetic even if you think you have maintained yourself well enough to get off the insulin shots, so let your doctor confirm your condition, and not the internet, or anyone's (un)informed opinion, who cannot TEST you or have the benefit of your medical history, or PERSONAL statistics or habits.
    No ifs ands or buts I am going back to the doctor! I do not do so regularly as I'm self employed and really cant afford it, but am extremely good about everything I am supposed to otherwise, diet, exercise, etc etc. Just had a very weird experience after telling someone that I thought my insulin may have gone bad, which happened once before. Normally, I feel amazing because of the way I take care of myself!
    tickle's Avatar
    tickle Posts: 23,801, Reputation: 2674
    Expert
     
    #8

    May 4, 2016, 06:55 PM
    Diabetes is something like high blood pressure, which is a silent killer because there are no symptoms connected to it that tells you there is anything wrong. I am a type 2 diabetic, I take care of myself but I don't take anything for granted, and you should not either. I feel great all the time only because I take my meds on time, eat properly, see my doctor, and have blood work done every six months. Some people are diagnosed as border line diabetics, BUT there is no border line pregnancy. You are either a diabetic or you are not. I take one metformin a day and have ever since I was diagnosed several years ago. The downside of being a diabetic though is renal failure if you ignore it all together.

    You say you cant afford to see a doctor, but can you afford to be ill and not able to work, play, or live a satisfactory life. Get to a doctor, please.

    As for insulin going bad, of course it can if not refrigerated.
    J_9's Avatar
    J_9 Posts: 40,250, Reputation: 5641
    Expert
     
    #9

    May 4, 2016, 09:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    Some people are diagnosed as border line diabetics, BUT there is no border line pregnancy. You are either a diabetic or you are not.
    Absolutely incorrect. Pre-Diabetes, otherwise known as borderline diabetes is very common.

    What Is Prediabetes?
    tickle's Avatar
    tickle Posts: 23,801, Reputation: 2674
    Expert
     
    #10

    May 5, 2016, 04:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Absolutely incorrect. Pre-Diabetes, otherwise known as borderline diabetes is very common.

    What Is Prediabetes?
    I know it is, J, very common but I am saying, you are a diabetic or you are not. I deal with this issue quite frequently and some of my clients have been diagnosed as pre, and then as full blown diabetics.
    joypulv's Avatar
    joypulv Posts: 21,593, Reputation: 2941
    current pert
     
    #11

    May 5, 2016, 05:02 AM
    Diabetes isn't a stand-alone disease (most aren't)!
    Here's just the top conditions that result from untreated or poorly treated diabetes.

    • Coronary-artery disease, heart attack, stroke, narrowing of arteries, and high blood pressure
    • Nerve damage
    • Kidney damage
    • Eye damage
    tickle's Avatar
    tickle Posts: 23,801, Reputation: 2674
    Expert
     
    #12

    May 5, 2016, 12:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    Diabetes isn't a stand-alone disease (most aren't)!
    Here's just the top conditions that result from untreated or poorly treated diabetes.

    • Coronary-artery disease, heart attack, stroke, narrowing of arteries, and high blood pressure
    • Nerve damage
    • Kidney damage
    • Eye damage
    Good comprehensive physicians can redirect all of this by taking note of genetic information (diabetes is genetic) and surprisingly enough the physical attributes of a client. Diabetics are normally very full in the abdominal area and over weight, but not all, blood work goes a long way to singling those out and high cholesterol, high blood pressure (even low blood pressure) are early signs. Joy, your list is good but it doesn't always happen in that order. High cholesterol, high blood pressure if treated early can circumvent stroke and heart disease but diabetics, either one or two have to keep in mind that kidney damage is one of the worst things that can happen to diabetics. Women especially when UTIs are prevalent on a continuing basis. We all have seen many posts from women with these questions. Not usually men because they are made quite differently. Women with the urethra close to the anus, and not cleaning well enough are susceptible to urinary tract infections.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

 

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.


Check out some similar questions!

Could it be diabetes? [ 1 Answers ]

For the past 3 nights I have had to get up to urinate 3-5 times and each time I'm very thirsty. During the day I don't feel like I urinate more often but I also haven't been keeping track. After the first night I started getting stomach cramps/nausea. Not menstrual cramps or vomiting but I do have...

Could I have Diabetes? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello everyone, recently I have found myself extremely thirsty, like constantly drinking water, and with that comes frequent urination, my mouth is always dry in the morning when I wake up and water doesn't seem to help, and I have dry lips too. I find myself dizzy and lightheaded a lot of the...

Diabetes [ 1 Answers ]

I'm doing for my final year project on the expert system in diagnose diabetes... then I really need a help from expert to help me in verify a set of rule base for diagnose the risk of diabetes. Below is the rule based, can please help me verify the truth of the rule? 1 age young and BMI...

Do I have diabetes [ 2 Answers ]

What are the best signs to determine whether you have diabetes? It runs in my family and I don't know what symptoms to be looking out for to determine if I do. I am worried that someday I'm going to end up in the hospital because I was unaware of the possibility that I may have diabetes. What...


View more questions Search