Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    riddiculous Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2007, 01:59 AM
    Which CPU is faster?
    Pentium 4 571 (3.8GHz), 64-bit, Prescott, FSB800, L2 Cache 1MB

-OR-

Pentium D 950 (3.4GHz ,95w), 65nm, Presler, Dual Core, FSB800, L2 Cache 2x2MB

Both are compatible with my Motherboard... I have the first one listed.
    I was just curious if I would gain "SPEED" if purchasing the Pentium D.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Mar 31, 2007, 02:15 AM
    If that's the choice then go for the dual core Pentium D.
    P4 are being phased out.

Couple this with a shed load of RAM (2Gb) and you're good to go.
    chinese_farmer Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2007, 04:44 AM
    Actually, in many benchmarks, the AMD X2 performs much better than both the Intel Pentium D and the Pentium 4!

You can buy a dual core AMD Athlon X2 3800+ for less than $90, and since it has much higher bus speeds, it will perform much better than Intel's CPUs.

Plus, its also really cheap!!
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Apr 2, 2007, 04:50 AM
    Would an AMD chip fit into his already purchased motherboard though?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Apr 2, 2007, 04:53 AM
    Npoe ;)
    chinese_farmer Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2007, 06:00 AM
    A good motherboard that I use is a Asus M2N - E motherboard, which uses the AM2 Socket, and its quite readily available for overclocking, and I bought mine for approximately $115 USD.

My whole system (including 19 inch Widescreen LCD) cost less than $1000! AMD parts and compatible motherboards are much cheaper than intel's !
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 2, 2007, 06:00 AM
    However, even if you pruchase a new Mobo with an AMD chip, you might find it costs less or about the same as buying a pentium D
    riddiculous Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2007, 06:31 AM
    Thanks for the responses... I'm not really looking forward to buying a new mobo.. if I'm going to do that I'll go all the way.. but not at this time.

It all started by that I have Windows Vista and they have that computer ranking system... everything I have is a 5.0 through 5.9 EXCEPT my 3.8 Ghz processor which ranked 4.5 and my memory pc3200 which ranked 4.4 BTW... 5.9 being the highest.

The reason I asked about the pentium D 950 I can get it for the same price that I got my pentium 4 3.8 ghz which is around 175 dollars.
    I got another response from a "cpu" expert that the 3.8 cpu is king over the pentium D.
    HVAC888 Posts: 674, Reputation: 75

Apr 4, 2007, 08:02 PM
    Instead of buying new stuff, have you tried tweaking the memory timings in the BIOS? Assuming you are using a MB with overclocking features. There are tons of tweaking guides on the 'net to help you out.
    escamira Posts: 1, Reputation: 0

May 14, 2007, 09:21 PM
    Your processor dual core has two cores instead of having only one with the other model. You should definitely choose the dual core.
    The question was about the two models and not other models and brands, we all know that AMD is cheaper than Intel but the best processor of all times is Intel, obviusly the top of the top from Intel vrs the top of the top of AMD, Intel always wins.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need Help Growing Hair Faster [ 18 Answers ]

Does anyone know what I can do to help grow my hair faster? I decided to let someone "MY AUNT" perm my hair and it fell out. My hair use to be down the middle of my back now its to my shoulders. It's really short, I just want my hair back. WHAT SHOULD I DO TO HELP MY HAIR GROW FASTER?

How do I make my hair grow faster? [ 6 Answers ]

Is there really a way to make your hair grow faster? I have to be careful what I take, like medicine. I am on medicine for post partum depression. So if there is a pill that can make your hair grow faster , I need to make sure it doesn't interact with my medicine. Or how about something you put in...

Make hair grow faster [ 5 Answers ]

Hi is there any thing I should eat or pop in to make hair grow faster? I colored my hair and I do not like it but I do not want to color again I just want to grow back my natural hair color

CPU fan starts, a low hum sound on speaker and a vroom sound from cpu/fan [ 5 Answers ]

I just bought a new pentium 4 3.0 Ghz motherboard with 256 ram, connected everything as directed on the manual and plugged the power connector then started the computer. The fan starts then nothing else. All I hear is a very low hum/beep sound from the computer speaker which is immediately...

Naturally faster? [ 4 Answers ]

Why do African American dominate the sprinting distances so thoroughly. Better still, why is it wrong to acknowledge that this dominance is based on being naturally faster?

View more questions Search