Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    damdash Posts: 79, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2009, 06:00 PM
    Flash drive won't format
    I recently purchased a 16gb flash drive. When I got it I loaded enough videos on it to fill it up so I could transfer them. The system was windows 98 on a dell optiplex. I only used it once or twice since putting the videos on and never had a problem. A few weeks later ended up getting a virus on the computer. The tech cleaned the computer and put windows xp on it and reloaded some pictures. I got it back and all was good but now when I put the drive in it is recognized and it says drive isn't formatting " Do you want to format?" I try formatting and it says windows was unable to format drive. So now I can't use the drive or make format. Any help is appreciated.
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2009, 06:09 PM

Try this file, I uploaded it myself, so no need to worry about anything. It is safe Download and Run

Format_Flash_Drive_v2.9.1.1
    RapidShare: Easy Filehosting

Feb 9, 2009, 06:32 PM
    It keeps saying usb flashdisk not found
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2009, 07:18 PM

It sounds like you need to get 2.0 USB drivers for 98

Try and get this installed
    Version 2.0 usb drivers driver - usb20win98se.zip
    I downloaded it and uploaded it as site found on needs registration

Download file and read the readme.TXT file
    My upload, file is safe
    RapidShare: Easy Filehosting

Feb 10, 2009, 08:05 AM
    I'm not sure but I think that may be the problem. I am not running windows 98 anymore, the tech upgraded my system to windows XP. I have two other computers that I have immediate access to and they are running XP and Vista and I have the same problem.

I tried a program called PC inspector file recovery and it says:
    Bad parameters in boot sector: bytes per sector(65281) > 32768
    Bad parameters in boot sector: root directory cluster(4294967295) > count of clusters.
    Ultra Member

Feb 10, 2009, 08:15 AM

Give this a shot - first download link

Partition Table Doctor
    Free Download Partition Recovery software.

More info
    Recover Lost or Deleted Partitions. Repair Partition Table and fix partition Boot Sector error - Partition Table Doctor

Partition Table Doctor can help you to repair partition table and recover lost or deleted partitions except for physical damage, or hard disk (or other storage medium) failure. It is safe to use for only recovering your partitions through modifying partition table or boot sector, which means the software will never attempt to write to data area of the drive you are want to recover.
    Run the program and select "Fixboot",then choose "Interactive" mode.

Feb 11, 2009, 05:40 PM
    Do you happen to know of any free versions
    Ultra Member

Feb 11, 2009, 06:40 PM

Sorry, can't find one - maybe someone will know how to go about fixing a boot sector on usb drive

I'll keep looking to see if anything comes up
    darkvision Posts: 232, Reputation: 15

Mar 2, 2009, 02:32 PM

One thing not mentioned-check the manufacture website for new drivers. Sometimes with flash media the drivers won't work correctly with what came installed on the device. So I would try getting new drivers. As well try using the drive on a system its never been on to see if it still tries to load itself or not.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to format a hard drive on a dell desktop with XP home edition and no floppy drive [ 18 Answers ]

How do I format a hard drive on a Dell Dimension 8110 with Windows XP home edition 2007 without a floppy drive? I tried to follow answers to some similar qustions posted previously on this site but when I do I get messages like "what's the disk volume label" from the command prompt window after...

Format pen drive [ 1 Answers ]

My pen driver can not be formated please tell why and how it is get it done

Format C drive [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all I had installed Win XP Media center in D drive. And when I was installing Win XP 2002 in C drive, It asked me to insert SP2 CD. But I had mistakenly inserted Media center CD 2. after sometimes I closed the installation by shutting computer down. When I do formatting C drive by...

How to format hard drive [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Gateway desktop. How do I re-format hard drive? I get message saying it is being used by another application when I know it isn't.

How to format Hard drive? [ 2 Answers ]

Yesterday I was rebooting my PC, I entered DOS Prompt and format my other partitions except C:, which was when formatted answer was that it is used by other programs. If somebody help me out?

View more questions Search