Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rackld Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2007, 10:59 AM
    Cash as legal tender
    Hi,

Can a merchant in the United States refuse to accept cash as payment? I'm not talking about a bag of pennies, but cash in reasonable denominations. For example, many hotels seem to have a policy declining cash. Is this legal? Also if you sign a lease, it likely contains a provision that payment will be by check, or other non-cash entity. Is this contract provision enforceable?

Dave
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2007, 11:03 AM
    Per the US Treasury, private businesses are free to develop their own policies on whether to accept cash unless there is a State law which says otherwise. See here for more info.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cash Now [ 1 Answers ]

Has anyone used 'Cash Now'? Does anyone know if they will cash international cheques? I have tried contacting them but they haven't got back to me. So has anyone got a answer?

Cash [ 1 Answers ]

Receipts from cash sales of $7,500 were recorded incorrectly in the cash receipts journal as $5,700. What entry is required in the depositor's accounts?

Cash Out? [ 1 Answers ]

Can any legal action be taken by a collection agency if the statute of limitation has run out on a debt? I have several credit cards that I have not paid on in 3 years due to a much reduced income. I'm thinking about cashing out the equity in my house so that I can pay them off, but the statute...

401k Cash Out [ 5 Answers ]

The company is closing, I'm over 55 and will be able to avoid the 10% penalty when the 401k plan ends. I am fully vested. Understand the state and federal tax implications. Not unemployed and not sure how long that will last. If I roll over to IRA, I can't get access to the money until at least...

View more questions Search