Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ecclosers Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2007, 01:15 PM
    Paternity rights for the non paternal father
    My fiancé just had a baby. It was determined by a paternity test that the child is not my biological son! I spoke to an attorney briefly and was advised that even though my insurance paid for the pre natal visits, the delivery and post delivery aspects of the birth, that I have no legal rights to the child unless the paternal father signs away his custodial rights and I formally adopt him.. At this point, my name is on his birth certificate. He's on my health insurance. Not withstanding all of the financal issues and emotional issues, what should someone in my position do? I'm at a complete and utter loss.
    redneckchick Posts: 23, Reputation: 5

Feb 26, 2007, 01:23 PM
    Do you know who the father is? And does the father want anything to do with the child... if not then you should ask the father to sign over the child to you and let you take care of the child... if you want the money back for all the work you did for a child who isn't your and believed to be yours can't the mother to court... another than that I don't know whatelse to do...
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 26, 2007, 01:35 PM
    Your attorney gave you the correct advice. Formerly adopt the child.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Paternal Rights [ 4 Answers ]

I fathered a child with someone. (Yes, I know it was foolish.) My problem is that the mother has turned this in to a power struggle. We have agreed that in this situation an adoption is the best thing for the child. The mother does not want me involved in any way. She wants me to sign over my...

Terminate paternal rights [ 3 Answers ]

My daughter's biological father was in and out of her life and child support was never paid. When she was 14 years old (she is almost 16 now) her father called and asked if she could come to his and his parents home in the next state over for thanksgiving. There was to be a special trip to...

Paternal Rights [ 2 Answers ]

My husband got a girl pregnant 8 years ago and has never been allowed to spend time with her. The mother of this child is hateful and frankly evil. She will quit her job right before we go to court so that our support gets raised. We cannot afford this anymore. My husband is willing to relinquish...

Waiving paternal rights [ 3 Answers ]

My Ex girlfriend from 5 years ago who has been married and has 2 kids is fighting with her husband because he believes the oldest son (5 years old) is not his. There is talk around town that she thinks the oldest is mine. Doing the calculations of our relationship I do not believe he could be mine...

Advice on paternal rights... [ 2 Answers ]

I'm a U.S. Marine stationed in N.C. My wife and I have been separated and my lawyer has now filed the divorce paperwork with the courts. I recently found out that our 14 month old is not mine. No question about it, he is not mine. Our divorce was uncontested until now (I think). She wants me...

View more questions Search