Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stuffhappens Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2006, 03:13 PM
    My home was vandalized
    Saturday evening my home was vandalized. My daughter was home alone and someone broke out two windows and tried to break the big sliding door but they were unsuccessful. My daughter is fine, police were called. Here's my problem... My husband and I shared a Christmas party that evening at the home of a neighbor two blocks away. I had a bad feeling before I left for the party so I left a lot of lights on and tried to block it out. At around 9:30 ish I got a call from my daughter that someone was trying to break in. We came home immediately and our bedroom window and kitchen window were completely broken. There was no other vandalism in this part of town that evening. We did have this party and it was limited to a certain number because we were sharing the party and I think it's a little more than a coincidence that this happened that night. The detectives agreed with me. I have my thoughts on who could have done this... there were some people that were unhappy about being left out. I know I can't prove anything but I can't get rid of this naggy feeling that it was probably someone I knew. Of course I suppose it could be random but I don't think it was. What would you do? Or what do you think? I know at this point I can't prove anything.. :-(
    Bluerose Posts: 1,521, Reputation: 310
    Ultra Member

Dec 11, 2006, 03:30 PM
    I think if it is someone you know, they might be wondering how much you know. They may be feeling guilty. I say don't talk about it to anyone you suspect, let them go mad for news about how much you know. You could make out that the police are working on it. Keep your eyes and ears open and someone make trip themselves up.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 11, 2006, 03:49 PM
    There is seldom "random" damage that is just done to one home.

Of course you did not say how old your daughter is, if in her teens, sometimes, teens have issues where others do property damage also.

But all you can do is give all the info you have to the police and move on with life.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Dec 11, 2006, 08:40 PM
    Well, not being able to prove anything leaves you with no options other than to replace the windows and put the incident behind you. Having suspicions is one thing but suspicions alone have no legal bearing either civilly or criminally. I'd like to know just how disgruntled someone would be over a party that they'd go to such lengths.
    chuff Posts: 3,397, Reputation: 1235
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2006, 11:37 PM
    I'm assuming in a case like this the police really arent' investigating. If they are don't use this. If they are not and you talk to the people who you believe did this and the subject comes up, you might mention that the vandals left behind some very distinctive foot prints that police took molds of. Do not say fingerprints because if they were wearing gloves they will know your lying. But everybody has footprints. Watch for any reaction that comment might bring.

That being said, as you clearly state you can't prove it so don't go throughing accusations around based on suspicision. You could be wrong.
    Bluerose Posts: 1,521, Reputation: 310
    Ultra Member

Dec 17, 2006, 11:09 AM
    Just look smug and let them think you have their number. And if there is any chance something like this might happen again set up a camera or a tape recorder to get something on them.

Oh dear, this is bringing out the schemer in me. Lol
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 17, 2006, 11:43 AM
    You call this an act of vandalism, but it seems more to me like an attempted burglary. As Chuck noted, random vandalism is rarely limited to a single instance. Also, if vandalism was the goal, they wouldn't have just broken windows.

It could be someone working for the caterer or someone else with knowledge of the people attending the party may have targeted your home.

But the main issue is that, without proof there is nothing more you can do except install a security system.
    stuffhappens Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 18, 2006, 08:09 AM
    Thank you all for your answers, they were very helpful! :-)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Home alone [ 3 Answers ]

Is there any laws in the state of Colorado as to how old a child needs to be to walk home from school and stay home alone for an hour or so before the parents come home from work?

Selling home/buying home simultaneously [ 8 Answers ]

Real estate agent and the mtg broker she works with want me to refinance loan with them, take equity out of it and buy a townhouse, move into townhouse while maintaining my mtg with my present home while trying to sell it. I called Wamu (my original lender) and questioned him about this and he...

New home [ 2 Answers ]

I'm about to move into a new home and would like advice about what I should do in terms of helpful hints Ex. Like the garage floor is bare concrete so I am thinking about painting it with that epoxy stuf that I got from the home depot to make it smother and look better and we are planing on...

View more questions Search