Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    angie29ae Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2006, 03:17 PM
    Can Someone Please Help Me?
    I Have A Question Regarding A Father Giving Up His Parental Rights So He Won't Have To Pay Child Support And So That He Doesn't Have To Deal With The Baby's Mother Because He Can't Stand Her. I Would Like To Know If It Is Possible For Him To Sign His Parental Rights Away Not Having Absolutely Anything To Do With The Baby's Mother Or The Child Without Going To Court.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 6, 2006, 03:51 PM
    NO, it is not possible. You don't have to deal with the babies monther, you don't have to ever see her, talk to her or nothing, all you have to do is pay.

So just stop talking to her, don't visit the baby and just write that check every month.

If it was possible every dead beat dad in america would do that instead of going to jail for non payment.

If another man wants to adopt the baby when she remarrieds, and she agrees to let you give up your rights, then you can.

So write that check every month and you never have to see the mother again.
    angie29ae Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2006, 04:05 PM
    Thank you so much!! But I have another question, what if the father can't afford child support because he already has a child with an other woman that he is paying child support for and is currently attending college and paying bills that he has to pay for... what can be done in this situation?
    babyjlj Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2006, 03:19 PM
    He can't sign over his rights as a father, no matter how hard he tries, he WILL have to pay up, if he refusses to pay then he could be arrested, then the money will be taken from his account anyway
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 7, 2006, 04:11 PM
    Yes, the courts in most states ( a few states don't allow)

But basically they will arrange to garnish what wages you do make, Normally the first child gets paid first ( court approved child support) and then the second. I have seen them take up to 50 percent of the pay of the father to go toward support.

And yes they are more often now suspending the drivers license of people who don't pay, and arresting them and making them serve time in county jail.
    ( I know that as a fact, since sadly my son got a visit to a state bed and breakfest for not paying his child support)
    kimmy_jacob Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2006, 04:58 PM
    Yep the only way is if she gets remarried and wants her new husband to adopt her child. Then you can sign away the rights.

Until then sorry to say, you must pay the support!! I know all about it! My fiancé has 4 children from his first wife, and 50% of his take home pay goes to those kids...

He laid down with her, now he has to take car of his responsibilities.

Its hard for us to get by, we have an almost one year old, and living on maternity leave for me, and menial jobs for him, sometimes the moneys tight.
    OregonGirl75 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2006, 06:35 PM
    I am so confused, please bare with me here. I am married. I'm pregnant. The biological father wants to relinquish his parental rights to my husband. He doesn't want anything to do with the baby. This is what my husband and I wish, also. WHERE do we get the paperwork. I know it can't be THIS DIFFICULT!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

View more questions Search