Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Oct 23, 2006, 01:41 PM
    Fire Drills/Escape Routs for homes with more than one floor.
    This very important question arose today in conversation.
    If in the event of a house fire, how does a family safely get out of a 2 story (or more) home if the first floor is engulfed with flames?
    Thanks for all input.
    Kae
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Oct 23, 2006, 01:49 PM
    I would hope that with the fitment and regular testing of smoke alarms this situation would never occur.
    Least this way you should have more than enough warning to vacate the house before it was engulfed in flames.

If it was the case then the window would be one route or, more daring, wrap soaking wet towels around yourself, get to the downstairs doors and exit as quickly as possible.
    Ultra Member

Oct 23, 2006, 02:23 PM
    Hi thank you, yes smoke detectors most definitely and you would wake before the entire floor was engulfed.
    I guess I was more referring to if the stairs leading downstairs happened to be blocked by the fire.
    Wetting towels or a blanket is a good option especially if small children are involved and need to be carried out.
    Thanks for the advise.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Oct 23, 2006, 03:15 PM
    Here are a few products available to allow easy exit from upper levels:

http://www.fireescapesystems.com/products.asp

If fire drills are practiced, then trying these as part of the drill would be helpful.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Nov 5, 2006, 08:52 AM
    Great question. When I was married we lived in a two story home and before moving in purchased two ladder type devices that one could hook onto the window ledge and throw down the side of the house and climb down to the front or back yard. After use they just roll up and can be placed under the bed. We had fire drills once a month to practice this and get our children used to using the devices and also to make them feel safe and secure. We had a designated meeting place outside and would chart the results.

I would also encourage the use of the wet towels at the bedroom door if a fire broke out downstairs. One thing the Fire Marshall told us when he inspected our home was to make sure the bedroom doors were closed when sleeping. He said that it gave the person a better chance of getting out to safety if a fire broke out.
    Ultra Member

Nov 15, 2006, 09:46 PM
    Thank you all, I feel much safer now.
    We are getting the latter.
    Kae

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

2002 Ford Escape Transmission Problem [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 2002 Ford Escape 4x4 with 59,000 miles on it. Over the past 3 weeks I have noticed a severe chatter when first taking off in the vehicle. There appears to be something wrong anytime that I start from a complete stop or after slowing down to 10mph or less. The car rides fine once the...

Mortgages for mobile homes? [ 7 Answers ]

:confused: Can anyone tell me if they now of any company that will give mortgage for a mobile home with back credit? Please help

Abandoned Homes [ 3 Answers ]

I have been watching a home in Gardena, California. It has been abandoned for about 10 years. I called the tax assessor's office and they gave me the name of the owner. So I have that which is a good start. I called the city of Gardena to see if they owned the property and they said no. They...

Pre-fabricated homes [ 4 Answers ]

I purchased a pre-fab home last year. Its about 18 years old, and the previous owners took really good care of it. I need to know if there is a website to help with repairs and maintenance. It's a Fleetwood. Any help would be appreciated.

Pre fabricated homes [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to know the steps and the process in the construction of a pre fab home. What makes it different from other construction methods?

View more questions Search