Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Princess-IMYM Posts: 239, Reputation: 6

Aug 5, 2009, 08:36 AM
    He eats so much
    Have a younger brother, he's 14 years old, about six foot (a foot taller than me) and does a lot of excersise, he plays for two rugby teams, plays football with his friends and does weights on a night time (when he remembers) before bed.
    I've had my concern that he's only 14 and still growing so he's not got real muscles yet, but the ones he's made are huge.
    I've noticed recently that he eats far too much.
    He'll have a huge bowl of cerial in the morning, followed by early lunch, then stuffs himself with biscuits, icecream and whatever else we have in the house, then he has a big dinner, then less than an hour after another bowl of cerial and more food.
    We had biscuits and cerial bars in the cupboard, the bars were mine so the biscuits were for everyone else and he eats most of both. I get the most of three bars before they're gone.
    We had three boxes of separate icecreams and I had one out of one box before they were all gone in a week.
    I ask him how he can manage to eat all of that, not even I can manage and iI'm on the heavy side, he comes back with "I'm hungry" how? I fail to think that even the amount of sport he does can cause him to be this hungry all the time.
    He'll eat the same even if he's just spent all day on the computer and done nothing.
    How can we get him to stop eating eaverything?
    Justwantfair Posts: 3,422, Reputation: 944
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2009, 08:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess-IMYM View Post
    I fail to think that even the ammount of sport he does can cause him to be this hungry all the time.
    He'll eat the same even if he's just spent all day on the computer and done nothing.
    I am sorry to inform you that you are mistaken. The amount of physical activity he is involved in affects his metabolism, which appears high. While able to consume high quantities of food, his body is quick to turn it into energy. With a high metabolism, he can eat heavily on his non-active days without much variance.

In addition to a high metabolism, he is still growing. This behavior is very typical of many teenagers, especially overly active ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Princess-IMYM View Post
    How can we get him to stop eating eaverything?
    You can't and shouldn't try.

You will need another alternative to 'protect' the food that you like in the house. Maybe discuss with your parents, an ability to have a few items, that are strickly yours.
    Holly23 Posts: 180, Reputation: 15

Aug 5, 2009, 08:48 AM

Because he does so much exercise his body craves carbs.Its perfectly healthy considering the amount of exercise he does.
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2009, 08:54 AM

When I was 14 I played football baseball and basketball and worked out. I ate the same way. Was never fat or anything like that. I am 31 now of course I don't eat like that anymore because I don't have to since I workout daily and play basketball once a week. You burn up a lot of energy and calories when you play sports. Even on days when I did nothing I would still eat the same. There really isn't too much to worry about.

Aug 5, 2009, 08:54 AM

It can't be healthy to eat sugar filled cerial three times a day, eat 3 boxes of ice cream in a week, and eat large quantities of biscuits within a few hours.
    Is there certain food that will make him feel fuller for longer?
    I have told himt he cerial bars are mine but he takes no notice, I'm going to have to hide them in my room.
    Both my parent have their own cupboard that has food we aren't allowed to have in them.
    Holly23 Posts: 180, Reputation: 15

Aug 5, 2009, 08:56 AM

There only bars I think your freaking out because he's eating so much of your food because he seems to be fine
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2009, 09:00 AM

True he should be eating healthier stuff but it isn't going to make him any fuller. He burns it up so fast that he is going to eat again.

Aug 5, 2009, 09:01 AM

Its not exclusivley mine that he eats.
    I just worry that him eating so much junk food with back fire on him and he'll have a problem.
    He doesn't eat fruit or veggies at all, it's all pizza and sweets. I mean I know he does excersise but that doesn't mean he's healthy if all he eats is large ammounts of heart-attack food.

Aug 5, 2009, 09:03 AM

Also, I'm concerned about the amount of money we have to spend because of him, it's not exactly a great time for money is it?
    Justwantfair Posts: 3,422, Reputation: 944
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2009, 09:07 AM
    This is typically behavior of a 14 year old.
    Worry about the food you wish to protect.
    There isn't anything unusual about his behavior.
    You didn't list heart attack foods, you listed sugary sweets, he is more likely to develop some cavities, not a heart attack.
    Let your parents do the worrying about him.

Aug 5, 2009, 09:12 AM

Ok, thanks for your help.
    My parents are hardly ever home because of work so I'm the only one to see him eating so much. And usually I get the blame.
    (eating too many sweets can lead to health problems)
    I hope he grows out of it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dog eats other dog s food [ 4 Answers ]

I have two yorkie pups one 7 weeks and the other 11 weeks and they both came from diff owners and they eat diff food but they both have decided two eat each others food and not there own is this a bad thing? What should I do? :confused:

Dog eats grass. [ 9 Answers ]

7 month old Jack Russell loves to graze, and eat grass while browsing in the back yard supposedly to do her business. Bugs I can see, but grass? Is this safe for her to do?

Puppy eats own poo [ 2 Answers ]

My 7 week old puppy is tarting to eat her own poo why and how can I stop it

My almost 4 year old eats A LOT! [ 2 Answers ]

He is almost 4 and in the 75th percentile for height and 90-something for weight. He is a pretty big (height and weight) for his age. He seems to be gaining a bit of weight, but he eats as much as I do. He is constantly saying he is hungry. He eats and eats and eats. I guess I am just curious...

View more questions Search