Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    meekadn Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2006, 08:50 AM
    Don't understand problem
    I don't understand how to complete this problem: Find the minimum diameter of an 17.3 m long tungsten wire that will stretch no more than 9.43 mm when a load of 361 kg is hung on the lower end.
    dmatos Posts: 204, Reputation: 26

Mar 21, 2006, 07:57 PM
    You'll need to use the Young's modulus of tungsten. It can describe the force exerted by an object under strain:

F = Y x A x deltaL / Lo

I don't know if your prof wants you to take into account the weight of the tungsten wire as well as the load, though.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I don't understand? [ 9 Answers ]

Help Please! A few months ago my husband and I began trying to conceive. My cycle were always pretty normal before about 28-32 days. Now all of a sudden since we have been having unprotected sex they have completely flipped. They are only 20 days apart and not normal. Before I would start heavy and...

Just don't understand [ 2 Answers ]

I am an independent 22 yr old male college student who goes to school full-time. I also work two jobs and between them make over $20,000/yr. I have done this for the last year and a half. Now my question is, even though I have have extra money taken out of every paycheck, my state and federal...

Help me to understand what's going on [ 3 Answers ]

Almost a year ago I found that my wife had an e-mail romance with her high school boyfriend and was planning to visit him. I confronted her and she admitted it. We were on a brink of divorce. But we found strength to gradually rebuild our marriage which was falling apart at that time. Now things...

Trying to understand kitty [ 1 Answers ]

Undefined I have never owned a kitten before so I'm learning as I go. Why do they,with front paws,knead you? It is as if they are kneading dough but with a little claw added... never enough to hurt but enough to let you know they are there.undefined

Need to understand [ 2 Answers ]

Of course if I was you I would ask why wouldn't I be able to go. Wait until she gives a reply. There could be a side to her that she doesn't want you to see! ::) There could be another male friend she's seeing. Don't get your hopes down she may just want to hang with the girls! After all it is...

View more questions Search