Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    myron johnson Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2008, 11:45 AM
    Can the landlord take out money from security deposit without a walk through inspecti
    Can the landlord take out money from our security deposit without having a final walk through inspection of the residence?
    Stevienicks1985 Posts: 34, Reputation: 2

Feb 15, 2008, 11:48 AM
    As far as I know it would be illegal for them to keep the security deposit after your residency has ended as long as its in the same shape it was when you moved in. If there is no physical property damage then I would feel safe in saying your entitled to the security deposity that your landlord is withholding.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Feb 15, 2008, 09:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevienicks1985
    As far as I know it would be illegal for them to keep the security deposit after your residency has ended as long as its in the same shape it was when you moved in. If there is no physical property damage then I would feel safe in saying your entitled to the security deposity that your landlord is withholding.
    Which isn't saying that if there is damage, and there was no walk-through, that they can't deduct the money for the damages.

So, essentially, you have to pay if you damaged the place. I don't believe that there is a legal requirement that you HAVE do a walk-through, but doing one allows both sides to agree on what the damages are. If you don't do the walk-through, take lots of pictures!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 15, 2008, 09:37 PM
    Not enough info, can they, I guess they did or you would not be asking the question.

1. the tennants move out without notice, there is no chance to do a inspection with tennants

2. the tennants don't show up for the official inspection.

So I can think of several ways they can. Tell us more about your story

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Landlord witholding security deposit [ 5 Answers ]

I live in Florida. The landlord we used to have was not a really good one -every time he needed to do something, he just didn't care (even when the neighbour above regularly soaked the place -1-2 night a month, and mold was growing on the drywall). So we moved out. Cleaned up the place, bought a...

Does my landlord owe me security deposit? [ 8 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I moved out of my apartment on August 1, 2007. I was told that at leat $236.00 of my $600.00 security deposit would be returned because there were some things in the apartment that they charged us for. (there was one small golf ball size hole the wall from my treadmill, which I...

Chasing Landlord for security deposit [ 2 Answers ]

I rented an apartment in Minneapolis for 1.5 month from the home owner. I was aware of my short stay there hence I signed a short term monthly lease with a notice period of 15 days. At the time of vacating the apartment I fulfilled all lease terms, gave them written notice through email, cleaned...

Need money for security deposit [ 9 Answers ]

I need 200.00 dollars buy the 25th of October to pay my landlord so I can move in. I am currently living with some one. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME. Thank you:(

View more questions Search