Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    whitefawn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2007, 08:24 PM
    Love For Enemies?
    The Bible say's that we should love our enemies as we love ourselves, my question is, Why are Christians not doing this today? As we look around the world today, all one can see is mostly Wars and Violence. Have we forgot that the scriptures apply to us?
    Mt 5:5 Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.
    Mt 5:44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;
    fallen2grace Posts: 199, Reputation: 4

Oct 13, 2007, 08:43 PM
    Because, I believe this is the hardest thing for Christian to do. Even me. Probley the hardest for me personally. But you have to understand that not all people are christians and they probley didn't start the wars. And nobody is perfect, we all have flaws. But that's still no escuse for anyone to not have respect, or love one another. We make mistakes and we learn from them, well most people do.
    kindj Posts: 253, Reputation: 105

Oct 15, 2007, 06:18 AM
    A difficult question, to be sure. Even more difficult to live by at times.

However, we must also be mindful of the concepts of protecting the innocent and societal justice.

Remember that Christ is--among other things--the ultimate warrior. Yes, he is the Lamb of God, but he is also the Lion of Judah.

If Jesus saw a child being pushed into a kidnapper's van, I have no doubt that he would act. If he saw a woman being beaten and/or raped, I feel quite certain he would stop it. Let's say that my wife is being stalked by someone from her past. This person knows where we live, what we drive, where I work, where my kids go to school, etc. He has made disturbing phone calls and sent threatening letters. This person has set himself up as my and my family's enemy. I can love him all day long. I can contact him and try to reason with him until I am blue in the face. However, let's say that one day I unexpectedly come home earlier than usual, and I see him forcing his way into my front door as my wife struggles to keep him out. Now, what is the greater evil: To do nothing, knowing he can and will overpower my wife and do much evil to her, or employ force to make him stop, even though by doing so I will cause him physical harm? Sure, I can call the police, but it'll take them a minimum of five minutes to get there. And then what if the cop is a Christian? What is he supposed to do?

Jesus never said anything about eliminating the system of government and justice that has been established. In fact, God Himself is the one who established the justice system that His chosen people were to live by, and it seems rather harsh! So very many of our Western laws are traceable to the influence of the Hebrew justice system, set up by none other than God Himself. In His wisdom, He knows that a society cannot function without accountability not only to God, but to our fellow man.

Otherwise, why would He have inspired Paul to write:

"For he (the ruler, the state) is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer." Rom. 13:4

Yes, we should certainly show love and compassion to all people, even (or especially) to those who wish us harm. Balanced with that, however, should be a sober sense of responsibility to protect the innocent and weak from the evil strong.
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Oct 15, 2007, 03:37 PM
    Who are a person's "enemies", today? In America, we don't hear thundering hooves from the west, horses carrying bloodthirsty barbarians out to conquer out neighborhoods... as a matter of fact, 86% of Americans declare that they are Christians and are probably worried how they are going to meet their bills!! :)

It is important to tone down the Biblical anguage so we can understand the meaning of what was said in the scripture related to modern lives.

I think that *neighbor* in this Biblical verse refers to those who we deal with out in the real world on a daily basis, our real neighbors, friends, relatives, acquaitances... if a neighbor acts toward an individual with anger, the person must not give back anger, but attempt to understand what the person is saying. Never escalate a disagreement, never "up the ante", never take unpleasantness personally.

Even if a hord came out of the East in Jesus' day, the 'love your enemy' is a good strategic plan... being pleasant and non-confrontive... so as to try to avoid beheading. :)

Remember, now we have police and a national government to deal with serious problems.
    fallen2grace Posts: 199, Reputation: 4

Oct 15, 2007, 08:14 PM
    :] Glade I could answer that. YOu actually made me think!
    chaplain john Posts: 79, Reputation: 28

Oct 23, 2007, 12:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by whitefawn
    The Bible say's that we should love our enemies as we love ourselves, my question is, Why are Christians not doing this today? As we look around the world today, all one can see is mostly Wars and Violence. Have we forgot that the scriptures apply to us?
    Mt 5:5 Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.
    Mt 5:44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

The Bible says that we should love our neighbor as we do ourselves.

Your quotation of Mt 5:44 tells us to pray for our enemies etc.

The verses that tell us to love our enemies mean to love them enough to pray for them IE. God show them the error of their ways and help them come to know and accept the salvation that you hold out to them.

Being meek does not necessarily mean being a door mat.

A Pastor that I loved very much asked me one time when I had been fighting (in Junior High School) "Don't you know what you're supposed to do when someone hits you?" When I replied hit 'em back he told me, "No turn the other cheek and raise your right knee very sharply."

It was said at least partially in jest but... At the end of the session we were in he took me aside and gave me a small lecture on being "meek". That lecture summed up in one sentence is just what I said above about being a door mat... I've never forgotten that talk and over the years I've learned to speak softly and try always to be a meek and mild peace-maker (as I believe any man of God should be) but without being any man's door mat.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

In love with someone who doesn't love me anymore. [ 8 Answers ]

I started dating my ex in Apirl of last year. We got pregnant within the first three months, and my hormones and emotions starting going crazy. I was treating him like crap, saying things like I didn't want to be with him, I would ruin the evening by thinking he didn't want me there, even though...

Real love or puppy love [ 11 Answers ]

I was wondering if the love I feel for this boy is actually true love. The thing is that I'm only 16 and I have fallen deep for this 17year old boy. We went out for a couple of months and we still talk. He recently told me he still thinks about me and his friend tells me he still likes me. However...

Does Love exist? Is there such thing as love? [ 22 Answers ]

I was wondering what is your opinion or thoughts on this situation, I went through a couple of months ago (in 2006). It was nearing the end of my first year at University, I was dancing on the last night the pub was open; suddenly, I saw a good-looking, kind of modest girl and I got the...

Love, understanding love, types of love [ 12 Answers ]

I thought this would be interesting to discuss. We all use love so much, we could say we love someone, then the next moment, we say we love our car, or wed love a big mac. I was watching this interesting video, in which this guy explained that the hebrews had 3 words for love. Raya- friendship...

Beagle's enemies [ 1 Answers ]

What are the beagles enemies?? Help me and possibly Quick thanks

View more questions Search