Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    warspite52 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2007, 12:31 PM
    Problems with Daughter in Law
    Problem is usual one - D in L obviously resents us - we see it as a) she is a controlling person - says doesn't argue with her family - obviously she is the control factor in her family. We are long term married with one son - he was married before - and they have a child of 20 months another on way - we were so happy they were together/married as our son is now 50. Her family background is different, Father left them all at a very young age, mother remarried, she didn't like him and then he died, her Mother not in good health, fortunately we are, and it seems as if everything about us that is positive is negative about her family - we don't compare them with us, live 220 miles away and make NO demands, just ask that we can see them every 6 - 8 weeks - always something becomes a problem. Our son has one failure, obviously he doesn't want another and nor do we - she is a bright and clever woman, and I was hoping we could be friends, she has a Mother, and I respect that but now things seem to go from bad to worse - to our face she is pleasant, but always there is something wrong with what we do - or say - or even ARE - we love our little grandaughter but can raise no emotion about new baby - feel we shall only become more distressed if we become attached. What are we doing wrong? What can we do right?
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jul 21, 2007, 12:43 PM
    This is a tough situation as your son will feel he is in the middle and will feel he needs to please everyone. Which is impossible. Have you sat down and talked to your daughter-in-law and son and explained what you have explained here? That nothing you or your husband does seems to be right in her eyes? Was she this way before she was pregnant? Did she do this from the start of the marriage?

If you have the chance to sit down and talk with them and clear the air, that would be great. If there can be a compromise, even better. Sometimes it does happen, that relationships cannot be what we hope them to be. In that case, to accept that she and your son love each other and be happy for him. Do your best even if it means biting your tongue sometimes. You do not see them that often, so there should be some calm and common ground where you all can be respectable to each other. Suggest that they come to visit you and your husband and see what the response is.

Hopefully your son will see how this is bothering you and will put forth the effort to include you and your husband. This is a delicate situation and wishing you the very best in coming to an agreement on dealing with your daughter-in-law.
    tnmom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2007, 06:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by warspite52
    Problem is usual one - D in L obviously resents us - we see it as a) she is a controlling person - says doesn't argue with her family - obviously she is the control factor in her family. We are long term married with one son - he was married before - and they have a child of 20 months another on way - we were so happy they were together/married as our son is now 50. Her family background is different, Father left them all at a very young age, mother remarried, she didn't like him and then he died, her Mother not in good health, fortunately we are, and it seems as if everything about us that is positive is negative about her family - we don't compare them with us, live 220 miles away and make NO demands, just ask that we can see them every 6 - 8 weeks - always something becomes a problem. Our son has one failure, obviously he doesn't want another and nor do we - she is a bright and clever woman, and I was hoping we could be friends, she has a Mother, and I respect that but now things seem to go from bad to worse - to our face she is pleasant, but always there is something wrong with what we do - or say - or even ARE - we love our little grandaughter but can raise no emotion about new baby - feel we shall only become more distressed if we become attached. What are we doing wrong? What can we do right?
    Speaking as a daughter in law who is in control. What you have to understand is that she is in control as I am because your son her husband doesn't care. He is probably happy to relinquish all control to her because it makes his life easier. Please don't make the same mistake my MIL made by not talking to me about her problems. She spoke to her son about me on several occasions about her problems with me but never spoke to me directly. If you have a problem sit down with the both of them before you become more angry than you already are. And again another mistake is being manipulative and attempt to assert control yourself. Don't do this it will only push them farther away. Good luck. Sit down, talk with them and be honest but not mean and you it may go better than you think it will.

Tn mom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help with daughter in law problem [ 75 Answers ]

I have a beautiful 19 month granddaughter that I dearly love and I love to spend time with her. The time I get to spend with her seems to me, is the time left over after everyone else. I have made plans for special outings on several occasions only to have them canceled at the last minute. If...

Daughter-in-law Problems [ 24 Answers ]

Advice needed. June 06 2007 DIL refuses to acknowledge my husband and I as grandparents. My husband and I live four hours away from my son and his family. My granddaughter is one years old. My DIL's bad behavior started at a Christmas 06 family reunion hosted by my husband and me. DIL ignored...

Making son & daughter in law move out [ 4 Answers ]

My 24 year old son, his wife & 1 1/2 year old baby have lived with me since Nov. of 2006, they were evicted from their apartment due to none payment of rent and had no where else to go so I (single mother who raised him) took them in. Since that period they have developed severe alcohol abuse...

Difficult Daughter-in-Law [ 22 Answers ]

I need some advice. I have a granddaugher that lives in another state with her mother. My son (the father) is married and lives about 45 minutes from me. He was never married to his daughter's mother, and has never paid child support, but his daughter visits him every christmas and during the...

Daughter-in-law wants mom out [ 7 Answers ]

My mom has lived with my brother and his wife ever since they bought the house (almost 20 years). My mom is not listed as one of the legal owners. 1.Does she have any rights as to who can visit her and when? 2.Even if she does not pay rent, does she have at least some kind of legal protection...

View more questions Search