Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sevenkeysofs Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 29, 2005, 06:52 PM
    Principle of double effect
    The principle of double effect in the corporate world: what does the catholic church means by the notiona of principle of double effect. Please give me an an example as well..
    Thanks
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Oct 31, 2005, 04:00 AM
    Here is a good example of it's application:
    http://www.ewtn.org/vexperts/showmes...&number=450809

And here is a pretty good 1 page summary of the principle:
    http://www.saintmarys.edu/~incandel/doubleeffect.html
    Bobbye Posts: 41, Reputation: 4

Nov 1, 2005, 09:22 AM
    Principle of Double Effect

In Hermeneutics ("laws and rules of interpreting Scripture"), the "Principle of Double Effect" or "...Double Reference," asserts that a particular Scripture can be interpreted to mean one nation; one group of people; one era, etc. yet the same passage is applicable to a different nation; group, etc.

Example: In the Old Testament where a particular passage would most certainly be ascribed to Israel, the same passage could be ascribed to believers, et al, in the New Testament.

Blessings,
    Bobbye
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Nov 1, 2005, 09:34 AM
    Cool stuff. Good thread - I learned something new today!
    Morganite Posts: 863, Reputation: 86

Nov 1, 2005, 08:23 PM
    Dualistic prophecy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbye

In Hermeneutics ("laws and rules of interpreting Scripture"), the "Principle of Double Effect" or "...Double Reference," asserts that a particular Scripture can be interpreted to mean one nation; one group of people; one era, etc., yet the same passage is applicable to a different nation; group, etc.

Example: In the Old Testament where a particular passage would most certainly be ascribed to Israel, the same passage could be ascribed to believers, et al, in the New Testament.

Blessings,
    bobbye

Whenb this is applied to a particulat prophecy, it is called a Dualistic Prophecy.

MORGANITE

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ventury effect [ 4 Answers ]

What does ventury effect means aspesially if it occurs during nebulization using a jet nebulizer? Thank you for the answer

Don Marquis, Abortion, Potentiality Principle [ 3 Answers ]

The question I am trying to answer is whether Don Marquis' argument against abortion is simply a restatement of the potentiality principle. I don't think it is because Marquis does not appeal to personhood. But, WHY is it important that Marquis doesn't appeal to personhood?

Venturi effect [ 1 Answers ]

How is working the Venturi effect?

Double Combo vs Double Tee [ 24 Answers ]

Hi All, The drains of my two storey home drain to one point at my basement ceiling, and then vertically to the basement floor via a 3" DWV pipe to a 4" sanitary tee that horizontally provides 1) a clean-out and 2) drain to the septic out the foundation wall. The center-line of the 4" sanitary is...

View more questions Search