Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ncmommy79 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2011, 02:56 PM
    Felony charges in regards to support
    What would the process be for reporting someone for felony abandonment of his children? I live in NC which allows misdemeanor and felony charges for abandonment in regards to not paying adequate child support and making oneself unavailable and eluding parental responsibilities. Now what I don't know and this confuses me is the statute doesn't necessarily specify whether a court order has to be in place as far as the felony charge goes; it does specify that a court order is necessary for the misdemeanor charges since every 30 days that pass without payment can result in a misdemeanor charge. Now I could be mistaken but that is how I understand it. Could someone correct me if I'm wrong? My ex boyfriend kicked us out back in March and just recently changed his phone number so I'm unable to get a hold of him and he hasn't provided support but we do not have an order in place so I know technically he doesn't owe me anything yet. Would I need to get a lawyer or just speak to the DA about this or go to the magistrate's office? I just don't know. All I know is he makes more in one week than I do in a whole month and he should be providing for his kids. I'm not expecting miracles and I doubt even with an order he won't pay anything so I may just be wasting my time with all of this.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Oct 30, 2011, 03:09 PM
    You first need to get him designated as the father of your child and have a child support order in place so you can collect any child support. Once you get the child support order in your hands you can then go to the local Child Support Agency and see about garnishing his wages to satisfy the court order. You just can't file abandonment charges as you were not married to him.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 30, 2011, 03:24 PM
    Yes, unless he is on the birth certificate or has been proven the father he can not be required to pay or be required to pay anything.

Next to my understanding there has to be a order of support, since he does not owe support and can not be requried to pay until there is one.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

First time felony charges [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to find out if my husband is looking at some jail time for his charges First off is history looks like this from 2007 two domestics,1 count of poss.of cannaibas less then 20 grams,then in 2008 he got 1st offense dui,then 2009 ticket for reckless driving,now just in a one week span he...

Charges for felony and probation violation [ 12 Answers ]

My boyfriend is on probation for beating up his sister's ex-boyfriend a year ago. Then recently, his sister brought home 3 guys and my boyfriend got mad, lost his temper, as always, and wanted to fight with them. One of the guys wanted to calm my boyfriend down so he brought out a gun and tried...

Statue of limitation on felony charges [ 1 Answers ]

How long is the statue of limitations on a felony charge? Will it go to a grand jury or what?

Pending felony and misdemeanor charges [ 17 Answers ]

I was arrested in sept for grand larceny theft of 24000 from a person I was taking care of . I have a drug problem I have been receiving counseling for . I have no priors except in 2001 for drug paraphenelia in fla . My lawyer seems to have his own best interest at heart and I'm afraid ill do...

Life After Felony Charges [ 18 Answers ]

Hello, I'm new to this... I've just been charged with a felony theft conviction and I want to hear from other people out there who've been there. My mother-in-law gave us permission to open a credit card in her name, but because she was not physically there, they are charging me with theft, even...

View more questions Search