Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LaMargarite Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2006, 11:38 AM
    Powder Coating
    I am installing solid iron gates at a home a few hundred feet from a (brakish water) river in Florida.

I had the gates powder coated and requested a satin or (at the most) a semi-gloss finish of about 15% to 30% gloss.

Instead, the power coater did the gates in a high gloss. He claims that it is better protection (for the metal) and will last longer. He also claims that the sun and salt will dull the high gloss in a matter of a few months.

Two questions:

Is it advisable to use a higher gloss to protect the iron from bright sun (12 months/year) an brakish water spray and humidity?

Will the finish dull and soften, and if yes, how long does it take?
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Dec 10, 2006, 07:36 AM
    The high gloss should dull a bit. Don't know how long under your conditions. Ask the guy if there is a way it can be softened.

I used to help out friend who owned a dirt modified race car. He had his frame of the car powder coated a high gloss and after a few races the gloss dulled. This of course is from constantly getting dirty. We did wash the car after every race.
    That was the main reason he got the high gloss coat.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 10, 2006, 09:02 AM
    Actually the issue is you asked for a specific type of coating and the company did not provide you the serive you asked for, but changed it without asking.

I would personally demand that they re-do it, the way you want it done,
    If for no other reason than to teach them a lesson that they can not change a customers order without asking him.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 10, 2006, 10:58 AM
    You might better leave well enough alone. If it was an epoxy, it will quickly lose its gloss in your Florida sunshine. Just recoating it would leave an excessively thick coating more prone to chipping. I wouldn't trust them to go through what stripping it might take.

Epoxies are frequently the material of choice for powder coating. There is a good reason why the automotive companies don't use epoxies for the top coat, they dull quickly. I can't say how soon.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Powder suger replacement for diabetic [ 4 Answers ]

Hello: Sorry if this isn't the right place to post this, but I have a question. I am wanting to make my grandmother a batch of candies for Christmas. Some peppermints, peanut butter balls, and some fudge. I am wondering what would be a good substitute for all the powder suger I use in these...

"approved coating" for LPG pipe fittings? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi: What are "approved coatings" for buried LPG gas pipe black iron fittings. The code only alludes to approved, but doesn't specify. In the Old days, it was 4 layers of 10-mil pipe wrap. but I'm wondering if there is some sort of liquid coating that can be applied (such as alphalt...

Teflon coating [ 1 Answers ]

Is it safe to use a CookPan if the Teflon has bubbled?

White powder under electric range burner [ 4 Answers ]

We have an electric range, about 10 years old. Where one of the burner elements plugs in to the "socket" (under the stove top) there is a very fine white powder that collects under ONE of the element prongs. If we wipe it off, it forms again. It doesn't collect under the other prong of that...

View more questions Search