Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    tarush's Avatar
    tarush Posts: 2, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    May 4, 2013, 01:20 AM
    Spouse on b1 and child on h4

    I am on H1 visa starting soon. My wife and child would like to come later next year for a few weeks.

    Question is : can my wife come on her already previously stamped B1 Visa and I can file for an H4 Visa for my child?

    lawanwadee's Avatar
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

    May 6, 2013, 06:31 AM
    Not recommended. You should file H-4 for spouse and children, so no need to worry about length of stay.

    B-1 can stay in US as allowed by immigration, but not exceed 6 months, and it's risky to enter US on B1/B2 frequently. Her visa may be revoked after a year or so. H-4 holders can maintain their status in US as long as H-1 is valid, and she can obtain state issued Identification or driver's license, open bank account, etc.
    tarush's Avatar
    tarush Posts: 2, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    May 12, 2013, 11:37 PM
    Thank you so much for your input.

    Just two more clarifications: Since my wife can only come to US for 2-3 weeks due to her schedule. 1. is there any technical difficulty for applying for H4 only for my daughter? 2. can my daughter on H4 visa travel with her mother on B1?

    Looking forward to your reply

    lawanwadee's Avatar
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

    May 13, 2013, 01:41 AM
    Apply H4 for both your wife and daughter. She does not need to live full time in US. H4 is multiple entry visa, she can come and go anytime.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is a step-parent liable for spouse's child support if spouse does not work? [ 3 Answers ]

As a step-parent, am I liable for paying child support on behalf of my spouse if my spouse does not generate income? I did not adopt her children, and just because I married her doesn't mean I should be obligated to pay her ex, or does it?

Getting Married and Paying Child Support of my Spouse's child [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I have a question. My boyfriend and I wants to get married. We live in New York. He has 2 kids. He wasn't married to neither one of his babies mothers. Him and myself are trying to figure out if we do get married would they take out money from my paychecks as well for his child support payments?

Do I have to pay child support if my spouse has one child? [ 2 Answers ]

My ex husband and I had 2 children. On divorce I had both of them, but our oldest is temporarily staying with him. His income is much greater than mine, but do I still have to pay him for one child based on my income, and he pays for the child I have based on his?

In Montana (MT) is a spouse required to pay their spouse's child support? [ 1 Answers ]

We live in Montana and my boyfriend has a six year old son. He is part of his life and we see him every chance we get (difficult because he lives on the other side of the state). I just got a job and I want to add my boyfriend to my insurance. To do this we have to claim financial interdependency....

Can spouse be responsible for spouse outside child [ 2 Answers ]

In Florida I hear there is a law that if your spouse has a child outside of the marriage, then the other spouse woould be responsible to support the child. Is this so?

View more questions Search