Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JimKen57's Avatar
    JimKen57 Posts: 24, Reputation: 1
    New Member
     
    #1

    Aug 31, 2016, 07:25 AM
    We want to change our network from Peer-to-Peer to Client-Server. How can I do this?
    How can I change our current network from Peer-to-Peer to Client-Server. Once done, we then want to add more Clients. How can we do this?
    Curlyben's Avatar
    Curlyben Posts: 18,471, Reputation: 1857
    Admin & Wine Expert
     
    #2

    Aug 31, 2016, 07:29 AM
    Look at both workgroup and domain models.
    ScottGem's Avatar
    ScottGem Posts: 64,970, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man
     
    #3

    Aug 31, 2016, 12:56 PM
    A Client Server network, generally has a domain controller that manages client logins, IP addresses (DHCP) and folder/file permissions. So you start by purchasing a POC to act as the domain controller.

    Seriously, if you have to ask this question you NEED to hire a network consultant who can set this up for you.
    JimKen57's Avatar
    JimKen57 Posts: 24, Reputation: 1
    New Member
     
    #4

    Aug 31, 2016, 01:14 PM
    I don't hire people. I just try to do what my boss needs. Thanks for your profound help.
    ScottGem's Avatar
    ScottGem Posts: 64,970, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man
     
    #5

    Aug 31, 2016, 01:59 PM
    If your boss asked you to fix the plumbing in the Women's bathroom, would you do it or recommend that he hire a plumber? Setting up a network requires knowledge and skill that you, apparently, don't have. Like the commercial says, you can pay me now or pay me later.
    smoothy's Avatar
    smoothy Posts: 25,495, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member
     
    #6

    Aug 31, 2016, 02:25 PM
    I agree with ScottGem wholeheartedly... there is so much that you would have to know to do this correctly that if you ask this question, you won't know the rest either.. (because this is nothing like setting up a home network) that his advice is spot on. There are multitudes of ways to screw this up, and very few to do it right.

    While you can tolerate downtime at home, few businesses will, even minutes will have an impact, hours will cause chaos, days would be devastating.
    talaniman's Avatar
    talaniman Posts: 54,086, Reputation: 10852
    Expert
     
    #7

    Aug 31, 2016, 02:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JimKen57 View Post
    I don't hire people. I just try to do what my boss needs. Thanks for your profound help.
    Then you should be calling around and getting a list of possible qualified people/vendors for him to consider. That's really what he NEEDS.
    JimKen57's Avatar
    JimKen57 Posts: 24, Reputation: 1
    New Member
     
    #8

    Sep 6, 2016, 05:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    If your boss asked you to fix the plumbing in the Women's bathroom, would you do it or recommend that he hire a plumber? Setting up a network requires knowledge and skill that you, apparently, don't have. Like the commercial says, you can pay me now or pay me later.
    I've met too many guys like you. I'll probably get help, but I'll always ask questions first - and hopefully, I'll never act like you do when someone asks them. That is the point of this site, is it not - to ask questions? If you can't add something positive, then shut up - because you're not helping. I'll keep learning, and I'll always try to treat people like people. Again - thanks for your condescending help.

    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    Then you should be calling around and getting a list of possible qualified people/vendors for him to consider. That's really what he NEEDS.
    Good idea. Good suggestion - positively stated. I've already talked to my boss about this - he's looking for people who can assist. In the meantime, I'm gathering all the info. I can.

    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    I agree with ScottGem wholeheartedly... there is so much that you would have to know to do this correctly that if you ask this question, you won't know the rest either.. (because this is nothing like setting up a home network) that his advice is spot on. There are multitudes of ways to screw this up, and very few to do it right.

    While you can tolerate downtime at home, few businesses will, even minutes will have an impact, hours will cause chaos, days would be devastating.
    Good information - positively stated. Thanks.
    JimKen57's Avatar
    JimKen57 Posts: 24, Reputation: 1
    New Member
     
    #9

    Sep 6, 2016, 05:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben View Post
    Look at both workgroup and domain models.
    Good information. Thanks.
    ScottGem's Avatar
    ScottGem Posts: 64,970, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man
     
    #10

    Sep 6, 2016, 08:57 AM
    Jim,
    Yes this site is about answering questions. And I did answer your question. In my first response, I explained how you start. But I also added the advice to hire someone. Let me point out that you asked a very vague and generic question. Forums like this are for asking and getting answers to questions, not general tutorials. And that is what your question asked for. If you had simply said that you were gathering information before hiring a consultant, my answer would have been different.

    I maintain that my response was positive and helpful. If you took offense, or found it condescending that was your problem not mine. And I have encountered too many people like you. Who ask vague question and then get their dander up when they don't get the answer they were looking for.

    We are all volunteers here. We donate our time and expertise to help others. You seem to feel that getting help is some sort of entitlement.
    joypulv's Avatar
    joypulv Posts: 21,593, Reputation: 2941
    current pert
     
    #11

    Sep 6, 2016, 05:49 PM
    JimKen, you could have received some help as you worked on this, and ScottGem would have been top on the list of helpers.
    He started you in the right direction.
    (I won't be back to see what you say to me.)
    JimKen57's Avatar
    JimKen57 Posts: 24, Reputation: 1
    New Member
     
    #12

    Oct 17, 2016, 06:31 AM
    OK. Maybe I was a little off in my response. I don't like to give up, or quit just because things get a little rough. Your response of getting someone else to set it up - OK, I took it the wrong way. Apologies. I'm still not giving up on the issue.

    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Jim,
    Yes this site is about answering questions. And I did answer your question. In my first response, I explained how you start. But I also added the advice to hire someone. Let me point out that you asked a very vague and generic question. Forums like this are for asking and getting answers to questions, not general tutorials. And that is what your question asked for. If you had simply said that you were gathering information before hiring a consultant, my answer would have been different.

    I maintain that my response was positive and helpful. If you took offense, or found it condescending that was your problem not mine. And I have encountered too many people like you. Who ask vague question and then get their dander up when they don't get the answer they were looking for.

    We are all volunteers here. We donate our time and expertise to help others. You seem to feel that getting help is some sort of entitlement.
    OK. Well, thanks for your comment.

    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    JimKen, you could have received some help as you worked on this, and ScottGem would have been top on the list of helpers.
    He started you in the right direction.
    (I won't be back to see what you say to me.)
    ScottGem's Avatar
    ScottGem Posts: 64,970, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man
     
    #13

    Oct 17, 2016, 07:39 AM
    No one asked you to give up. But you had unrealistic expectations. Apologies accepted. Now do you have any specific questions we can help with?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

 

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.


Check out some similar questions!

Peer to peer file sharing [ 1 Answers ]

I have a laptop and a desktop at home, both connected to the same wireless router. How do I share files between the two computers? Thank You.

Peer-Peer Connection [ 1 Answers ]

1.How do l connect 2 computers sharing 1 internet port? Utilizing this services wireless or dial up through WAN. Example a computer that has 2 NIC's Network Interface Card's and the other is the onboard card, sharing & connecting it through the internet? Regards alpharulz:eek:

Peer to Peer sharing [ 2 Answers ]

My Os is windows NT, I downloaded the bittorrent software and also bittorrent files but they refuse to play even though I Have downloaded the latest versions windows media and divX. My computer does not have the software to play dvds is this Required to play torrent files? If it is required...

Peer to peer sharing [ 3 Answers ]

Any suggestions for the best peer to peer sharing.. Much better if it is free.. Tnx..


View more questions Search