Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cnsparks Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2006, 11:06 AM
    Sharing Directories over VPN Connection
    I have no problems connecting and athenicating from XP client to my W2K server via VPN, but cannot see any files even through the local network connection before the router.

Try and find this one in technet, seems the only resource discusses the VPN setup connection only and nothing about sharing... :eek:
    cajalat Posts: 469, Reputation: 66

Sep 11, 2006, 04:09 AM
    A VPN connection passes all protocols across including Windows NETBIOS ports. So technically you should be able to connect and see shares.

Having said that, I manage an Enterprise VPN environment an there are several ports that are NOT allowed across of which NETBIOS is one of them. Our policy (since we don't manage the end nodes) is to block risky ports.

So check with your Network/VPN Administrators and ask them if they're blocking anything across the VPN connection.
    cnsparks Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 19, 2006, 04:52 AM
    Thanks for the reply, I think the problem is in the initial setup of the incoming connection (step By Step):

Network services (make new connection)

Accept incoming connections

Under devices for incoming connection screen I only see Direct Parallel LPT1.

In retrospect, I only see that printer when connecting via vpn, locally or via through router... :confused:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sharing internet connection on wireless network (ad hoc) [ 1 Answers ]

Hi this is my first post on here and I was wondering if anyone could help me. I have a PC and a laptop both with wireless cards. I've managed to connect the 2 and have good signal. I went into my internet connection settings and clicked the check box "allow others to connect through this...

XP Pro Profile Sharing [ 3 Answers ]

I have Windows XP Pro and I am working on a network. I am wanting to have 2 user accounts each sharing a profile (this step I am pretty sure I completed). The tricky thing I am trying to do is that when I logon while off the network Windows XP will automatically detect that I am not on the...

Cable connection sharing with a hub/switch [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I have a cable internet connection and want to share it with my three pcs all having windows xp , I have three cat5 cables and a 5- port switch , my broadband modem is a motorola surfboardsb 5100 usbcable modem, I tried to connect all of my pcs but not success , I run a set of setting a home...

Two default directories made on DOS [ 1 Answers ]

Whenver we make a dir in DOS , there are two directories created by default with the name . And .. What does this signify?? Is it related to.. in cd.. Please Help

View more questions Search