Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    francischie Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2008, 01:26 AM
    W2 Issue
    Hi,

I have serious problem with my W2 form. My previous employer send me 2 W2. One W2 seems wrong, I don't have any Idea how did they come up with such amount specified and it's also on the state that actually I never work. The other one has no problem and exactly reflect the total on my paystub. I don't have communication with my previous employer, and just ask some of my other colleague that still working on them. What the company told to them is that amount is the salary on their bench period but actually we didn't receive any amount during those time. I was only bench for 1 month before I got a client. After 4 months, I transfer my visa with other company. I never finished the contract on my first employer which is one of the reason I haven't contacted them. I still don't know what to do on the wrong W2 if I need to fill it or not.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Feb 17, 2008, 04:54 AM
    The second W2 should have the box (Corrected) checked. If it does ignore the first one.
    nepcpp Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2008, 07:57 AM
    There are a number of different questions that need to be asked to answer your question.
    1) Are the company names AND FEIN number the SAME on both W2 forms? If so, then one of them should have the box "CORRECTED' checked (it's at the top of the form). If they are from the SAME company name AND FEIN, and neither of them have the "CORRECTED" box checked, you need to contact your former employer. The employer cannot "ignore" you or refuse to provide you with an answer even though you left their employment. When you call, ask SPECIFICALLY for the Payroll Department.
    2) If the FEIN number is different on the two W-2's you have, then your former company used different "companies" to pay you. This is quite legal!!! Many companies use a number of different FEIN's for business taxation purposes and to be able to control the costs of one type of their business vs another type of their business. If this is the case, you must file both W2 forms on your 1040 form, or the IRS will audit your tax filing and tell you there was income reported that you did not claim. If you should choose to file using only the W2 you feel is correct, and get a refund of overwithheld tax, within about 6 months you will get a "lovely letter" from the IRS claiming you falsified your filing, etc, etc, etc.
    francischie Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2008, 12:35 PM
    They do have the same FED ID number, employer name and address. There is no corrected check box. The W2 which is I didn't know where it came from is amounting 2807.05 and it is on the state of MAINE. What the company told as is that it is salary we should got on our bench period. But like I said we never received any bench pay.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 3, 2008, 01:10 PM
    It looks like BOTH W-2s are valid; file them both.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ex issue [ 1 Answers ]

Here's the deal.. I have been with my girlfriend for 4 months now.. she has been contacting her ex a lot.. That is supposed to be her 'EX', right? She told me that he cheated on her and then they broke up.. not really broke up.. I feel like she is not over him because just before we got together,...

Getting over it! Just one issue! [ 22 Answers ]

I seem to wake up every morning with a heartache. I dream about the person almost every night. From 5 o clock and on I do fine but morning and work is terrifying! Also, I am talking to a few girls but I feel guilty because I feel like I'm doing something wrong and it doesn't feel the way it did...

I have a shower issue and venting issue [ 1 Answers ]

I have 4 showers in my house 1 downstairs and 3 upstairs. Two of the 3 upstairs have stopped having hotwater in them, shower A is a tub shower combined unit and has no hot water in it, shower B is a shower only with a jetted tub in the same bathroom but not single unit. The shower in B has no hot...

Who issue W2? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi Work summary: - Worked in a University for Jan and Feb 2006 - Worked on CPT (training) with a company from March till 1 May 06 - Worked on OPT with same company from May 1 to Dec 1 06

Is this a issue ? [ 7 Answers ]

PC : XP Pro Service pack 2 --------------------------- Start/Run <typed>MSCONFIG Looked in: Win.Ini Programs It shows: ;msconfig Luke.exe=C:\storage\calarkconnect iso\clarkconnect-2.1iso

View more questions Search