Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    Connie Ellison's Avatar
    Connie Ellison Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Feb 9, 2016, 08:26 AM
    Non copyright music
    Hi, I want to play 50s 60s music as well as skaface, mod. Records that were brought in the 50s 60s. And CDs. No modern stuff. Are these non copyright. I also play new bands music on they own discs to help promote them . My question is do I need a PRS licence for this music.thanks
    ebaines's Avatar
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307

    Feb 9, 2016, 09:47 AM
    In the US the duration of copyrights is a complicated subject, having to do with when the work was first published, and if prior to 1976 whether the author applied for a copyright extension. If you want the details check here: Copyright Term and the Public Domain in the United Statesf

    In essence works first published prior to 1923 are now in the public domain. Works published without copyright notice prior to 1989 are also in the public domain. But works published with copyright notice (which I'm sure all commercial recordings have been) are protected for a term equal to life of the author plus either 70 or 95 years. So - you may use any music first published in 1923 or earlier; virtually any commercial recording made after 1923 requires a license.

    As a side note: my wife's grandfather was a composer and band leader in the 1930's and 40's - he passed way in 1976 and his heirs still receive occasional checks from ASCAP for radio station air play or sales of his recordings from that time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Music copyright laws [ 8 Answers ]

I am from England and run a music band and another band has contacted me through FaceBook and email stating that they have copyrighted the same name in the USA . They are based in Washington DC,and that I should change our name.My band is just a small, local amateur group. I can't find them on the...

Post music without copyright [ 1 Answers ]

OK I live in U.S and I want to make forum about Asian music which I want to share music with other people. But I dun no if it that legal for me to put sharing music with other people ? Or what happen if someone else wants to share their music there I just open the forum and didn't post any music....

Music CD copyright [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a copyrighted music CD and an MP3 player. Is it legal if I convert all songs on the CD with Windows MediaPlayer to MP3 and play it on my MP3 player? I am not going to share the MP3 files with anyone else. -Piggley

Music Copyright dilemma [ 2 Answers ]

I'm a UK music publisher who represents certain composer/authors/artists. Their songs have been exploited by a Chicago record company for 20years, in some cases without contracts, in another by submitting a document with a forged signature. The Chicago company went into liquidation in 1991, but was...

How to set the music copyright attribute [ 1 Answers ]

My website stream music, It's free for everyone to hear but I want to set the copyright of the song to my site name so that everyone can see it on the media player such as "Copyright" just like most of the music sites do. And how can I change the existing copyright of a song?...

View more questions Search