Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rolla Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2009, 07:33 PM
    Regretting being drunk!
    I hardly drink and usually can only handle a glass or two of wine. I recently went to a party at work and made the mistake of drinking whatever was in sight. I ended up switching from beer to wine to smoothies with vodka. Needless to say I got hammered. I danced like an idiot and started throwing up. I am now so embarrassed going to work and am cringing at all the cocky remarks. How do I deal with all these after affects? Seems like its all everone is talking about :( I feel like I'll never be able to forget this stupid mistake. I am so so so embarrassed and ashamed. I was so respected and admired and now I feel like a fool (or am made to feel like one). Help!
    rolla Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2009, 08:47 PM

Can anyone give any advice? I feel terrible.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2009, 11:10 PM
    Hi, rolla!

The first time that I ever got drunk and did something foolish while being in such a state, was when I was 14 years old. I ended up jumping off a wall and breaking my leg. Boy, was that stupid of me to do that! Like for you, the comments seemed to be endless...

We all make mistakes. Once a mistake has been made, we need to live with the consequences. The good things for you, are that you still have your job and you regret doing what you did.

My suggestion would be to make yourself known as someone who doesn't drink at parties, or, if you do, don't drink very much and not make comments about people making comments about what you did.

You will live through this... In time, this will fade away...

I'm hopeful that others will come along to also offer you suggestions.

I wish and hope only the best for you!

Thanks!
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2009, 11:15 PM

Just tell them *Obviously I don't drink* or I would not have behaved that way* That's all!
    You know who you are and you know your mistake,stop kicking yourself in the butt for it.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2009, 11:17 PM
    Yes, it would be good to not keep beating yourself up over something that's in the past.

Thanks!
    Gemini54 Posts: 2,871, Reputation: 1116
    Ultra Member

Aug 12, 2009, 02:04 AM
    I'm hoping that you're reasonably young, because if you're 50something, it could be REALLY embarrassing!

Look - we all behave like idiots sometimes - it doesn't just take the drink to bring it out. I would suggest that the best way to deal with this is to laugh about it. It's actually pretty funny - drinking, dancing, throwing up.

Best thing to do when people make comments is to take it on the chin and say - 'yep I got hammered, I acted like a fool - but you got to laugh eh!'

People will still respect you, they'll just know that you're human and that when you cut loose, you do it with gusto. Next time, try to get drunk in the privacy of your own home.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 12, 2009, 09:43 AM

Yeah making comments that are not defensive catch people off guard when they see you are taking it on the chin and even getting a laugh about it yourself then they tend to lose interest in beating it to the ground.
    You could maybe laugh and say ''and tell me your best story of the dumbest thing you ever did''.
    BMI Posts: 892, Reputation: 270

Aug 12, 2009, 09:47 AM

Ah feel better friend.

Lots andlots of people regret doing something like this, whether it be alcohol related or not. Not met anyone so far that does not at least have ONE embarrassing moment in their life. This reminds me of the Seinfeld episode in which Elaine dances and she's ridiculed at work. Part of what makes it so funny is that most people can identify with the situation, you'll laugh at it one day.

Cheer up!!
    MayfairLady Posts: 147, Reputation: 23

Aug 18, 2009, 04:48 PM

Yeah this will become one of those stories you tell and everyone has a good old laugh WITH you because we all have been there. Life is wonderful NO ONE IS PERFECT that's what makes it so great.

Always remember Rule 62 - Don't take yourself so seriously!!

Much love, all IS well
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Aug 18, 2009, 06:17 PM
    Just work hard and carry on as usual. Just tell them(if they bring it up to you) that you found out the hard way that you can't hold your liquor.

Time will take care of this, and you'll be in the clear in no time. This is not a tragedy. You didn't do a table dance topless did you? Things can always be worse, remember that.

This too will pass. Bless you, you little "wild child".

A lady I work with got drunk at our Christmas party and was humping on our big boss' leg while she was dancing with him. She tried to get him to sleep with her by saying things like, " how did you end up marrying that ugly cow over there?"... " you could have had me"

You didn't do that did you? If not, then relax.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

When will I stop regretting? [ 15 Answers ]

To make a long story short, Im 19 years old and my first real girlfriend broke up with me a little over a month ago. We dated for almost 4 years and I was in love with her and I was real tight with her family. We immaturely talked about marriage and all that stuff. She broke up me for a variety of...

The drunk [ 7 Answers ]

A woman was shopping at her local supermarket where she selected 2 litres of low fat milk, a carton of eggs, 2 litres of orange juice, a head of lettuce, half a dozen tomatoes, a 500g jar of coffee and a 250g pack of bacon. As she was unloading her items on the conveyor belt to check out, a drunk...

Regretting Spur of the Moment Decision (I don't like him) [ 9 Answers ]

Okay, so two day ago, a boy asked me to be his girlfriend. He told me that he'd been "crushing" on me really hard. He's sweet and I know he really cares about me. I didn't have the heart to say no, so I said yes. So here's the problem. I don't like him any more than as a good friend. He's...

Is she regretting the breakup? [ 5 Answers ]

A quick update; We broke up a month and a half ago the first 2 weeks being the hardest but with the advice and support of everyone here I've been keeping NC for a month. It really is the best way to go. Thank you everyone. The problem is she sent me a message: " sometimes..... i know i can be...

The Drunk [ 1 Answers ]

A completely inebriated man walked into a bar and, after staring for some time at the only woman seated at the bar, walked over to her, placed his hand up her skirt and began fondling her. She jumped up and slapped him silly. He immediately apologized and explained, "I'm sorry. I thought you...

View more questions Search