Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LadyLongitude Posts: 12, Reputation: 2

Aug 1, 2008, 08:45 AM
    This is a ? For recovering addicts.
    I have a family member who is no longer apart of any aspect of my life. He has made bad decisions one after another and is a drug addict as well as an alcoholic. He just recently had his first child. My question is, for the recovering addicts, what was your rock bottom and how have you risen above a life full of addiction?
    I pray for the day that my brother opens up his eyes and realizes that there is more to life then getting high all the time. And I pray for the day he wants to get better for himself, not for anyone else.
    As his little sister, I have seen and witnessed a lot at such a young age. I have grown up and I'm not the little sister I once was. I have emotionally been effected from his roller coaster ride of life and I just want a sober and healthy brother apart of my life. I try to take each day as it comes with dealing with the scars my brother has left in my heart. My fear is that his rock bottom is being six feet under. I am just looking for some hope.
    plonak Posts: 742, Reputation: 117

Aug 1, 2008, 09:52 AM
    Im so sorry for your pain.. . he has to get sober for himself and no one else.. I know what you mean about him hitting rock bottom.. I'm sure he's hit it plenty of times and it doesn't seem to be working..

I suggest you try an intervention on him, get everyone close to him and get an expert to lead it.. give him an ultimatum, by saying that he can't leach off you guys anymore if he doesn't get sober, take away everything and that could be the thing that he needs..

I also recommend for you to go to al-anon meetings. This is for your recovery.. it helps you to deal with your addict brother, to detach your feelings with love and to move forward and still be happy with everything in your life..

I am currently going to al-anon meetings and they are helping tremedously.. please consider it.. because your brothers illness has become an illness for you, and you need to get yourself well..
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 1, 2008, 10:00 AM
    Some never do reach that point often because someone is holding them up and to others they just perfer that life. I know 100's of homeless men, who steal, beg for money for drugs and drink and hookers. Some so badly hooked in the middle of winter in the snow they will not go to a shelter since they have have to bathe and not drink. So I am not sure how much lower they can go. For some it is losing their wife, husband or kids. And to others it is when they end up taking their own life.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2008, 07:32 PM
    I agree with Fr_Chuck many no matter how low they go it is never rock bottom.
    MayfairLady Posts: 147, Reputation: 23

Aug 6, 2008, 03:51 AM
    The good news is that there is no such thing as a hopeless case. If your brother really wants to get well he can, with help, its not easy but it can be done, no matter how far down the scale they have gone. Its up to him though, no anount of nagging, forcing or in my opinion ultimatums will work. Go to al-non for yourself and this will help you deal with your own feelings of helplessness.
    julbox1999 Posts: 5, Reputation: 3

Aug 23, 2008, 11:34 PM
    I can say from years and years of experiences and talking to other addicts that rock bottom is different for everyone. Some may end up begging on the street, some may lose their job, some may divorce and the list goes on and on. I thought after 5 felony arrests for prescription forgery I had to have hit rock bottom, but guess what? I did it again and again and wound up in a diversion center for four months and am on probation for 8 years. My future had two options -- wind up dead or go to prison. That was my rock bottom. Rock bottom is relative!
    breezie655 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2008, 07:17 PM
    I was fortunate in that I "hit bottom" very young and landed in treatment and have stayed sober since. Good news is this , as long as an addict is breathing there is hope. As far as conducting an intervention, I would suggest you seek out a professional interventionist to assist you in conducting this very organized task. Interventions can go badly and make matters worse when families attempt to conduct one on their own without professional guidance. If you choose to go the intervention route I would suggest you contact a chemical dependency rehab in your area to secure help. I would also suggest for you to attend Alanon and Naranon in your community. These self help programs are of great value to family members and friends of those battling addiction. They can afford you with the opportunity to begin building a support network of others who truly know how you feel as they too have someone they love who is actively addicted or who's loved one is now sober and healthy thus giving you hope! Best wishes to you and yours.
    spyderglass Posts: 434, Reputation: 34

Sep 20, 2008, 02:30 PM

I didn't hit rock bottom
    I had a son
    My husband and I got clean for him
    I stopped as soon as I found out I was
    Pregnant
    (With some advice from my doc of course)
    aragon4 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2008, 09:24 AM

I am a narcotic addict and I "hit rock bottom"
    When my enabler "my husband" left me for
    Another woman and left me with 3 boys to
    Raise. It was the best thing he ever did for me..
    The day he left I threw the pills away and never looked back. Yes there are days when I
    Wish I had one but then I realize how lucky I
    Am to have my 3 boys and that he is no longer
    Involved in our lives.. he became what he fiered
    Most a uncaring and unloving father..
    Redz Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2008, 09:50 AM

What really is rock bottom in addiction? I think the answer to that is finally realizing you are an addict! Despit what anyone says once an addict always an addict!
    Thinking you are cured only leads to relapes!
    ggcadc Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2009, 08:52 AM
    If your no longer in contact with him you are doing what you need to protect yourself. It sounds like you have conveyed many times your wishes of his sobriety directly to him. If not, don't assume he knows, TELL HIM. And if your going to cut off contact with him, make sure it is clear WHY you are doing so.

Unfortunately, there is no answer to your question that will satisfy your pain and wondering "why does he do this?"

Check out Redirect

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Young HEROIN addicts. Homeless and with nothing. [ 4 Answers ]

I have a friend- who I have been friends with since I was almost 11 years. Let's call her JANE. Jane, who was married with a child (and very unhappy in her marriage with an older man), got a job (her very first one at the age of 21), and left her husband and daughter for a man younger than her...

Not everyone who needs meds are drug addicts [ 6 Answers ]

I have been diagnosed with severe anxiety. For the last 5 years, I have been on a form of snake oil called Elavil. This drug does nothing to relieve my panic attacks, in fact it makes them worse! I've mentioned Ativan to my doctor. She gave me that, "OK druggie" look. She told me she did not...

Recovering old files [ 4 Answers ]

Hi! So a friend of mine is installing XP on his new laptop (Dell) that came with Vista. About half way through the install, he realized there was a very important folder that he forgot to copy off. Is there any way he can recover that folder? It is the My Pictures folder. Would a system...

Recovering desktop [ 1 Answers ]

I have rebooted and did virus scans over and over. I can not get my desktop to recover. It says that there is a script error on page and when I click restore my active desktop the screen remains white and the error pops up again. Help!!

Addictions in children of addicts [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone be addicted to control? I am thinking it might be a byproduct of being raised in a home with an addict and this is how it manifests in that person's life.

View more questions Search