Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tylo Posts: 45, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2008, 06:30 PM
    Scariest Horror Book Ever?
    Im not a reader, in fact I hate reading but I'm determined to read a good horror, as everyone keeps saying the films are never as scary as the books... so I need a book that completely hooks you (as I get bored easy). And I'm a huge horror/thriller fan.

So I'm on the hunt for the scariest book ever.

Ive been suggested so far:

Exorcist (film was guff)

IT (film was terrifying)

The stand (never heard if it)

Salems lot (not sure)

Pet cemetery (crap film)

The shining (hated the film)

Most of them being Steven King, I'm assuming he must be pretty good

I would like to read something I haven't seen also

Oh, ps... I am legend, the film is amazing but has the worst ending ever, but still worth seeing, supposedly has a different ending to the book
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 16, 2008, 06:41 PM
    You should really read more. There is a whole world in books that TV, movies cannot even begin to touch. It's what people did before these things were even thought of. Personally I don't have enough time to read everything I would like to.

Ask your librarian at that funny building called the local Library what she would recommend. I don't think you have enough attention to really get into a good horror book as most of them build and build.

The Stand is too long for you. You'd fall asleep.
    I've read all of the others you listed and I liked the Shining as it was not much like the movie at all, ditto with pet cemetery.

The older Stephen King books are good though. Just pick a skinny one for starters.

Try Interview with a Vampire by Ann Rice.
    raggablue Posts: 347, Reputation: 22

Jan 16, 2008, 07:29 PM
    Birds by king is well scary, as is psyco
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Jan 16, 2008, 07:31 PM
    No movie has ever done King's works justice. I love his books, but not any of the films.

Jan 16, 2008, 07:34 PM
    Psyco was great on film. But I agree that the books are much better
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Jan 16, 2008, 07:39 PM
    And a oh yeah...

If you like vampire stories check out works by Anne Rice and Nancy Collins.

Jan 16, 2008, 08:54 PM
    Was 'the ring' a book first? Any good?
    friend4u178 Posts: 3,349, Reputation: 1584
    Ultra Member

Jan 16, 2008, 08:56 PM
    If you aren't really a reader then I would suggest "Pet Cemetry" as that is a lot easier than most of Kings books are to read.
    "IT" is far too long (over 1000 pages from memory) even though a very good book if you've got the time and patience.
    "The Exorcist" I also found very good.

And for something out there you could also try "Jaws" another easy read by Peter Benchley which was also made into a movie as you probably know.

Lastly even though I have never read any of his books yet I have heard real good reports about Dean Koontz's books. Link to his website below.

Dean Koontz Website, Suspense novel - Dean Koontz - The Official Site
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 17, 2008, 10:52 AM
    I remember a book of short stories by Stephen King was quite good and considering you are not looking to get into a long book this might be what you need. The title of the book had the word "Midnight" in it. The short story Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption was in that collection. It was a very good collection of his work and I've read it a zillion times. The librarian would be able to find this for you.

Jan 17, 2008, 11:06 AM
    Are you interested in the suspence or the brutal, sick side of king?

Jan 17, 2008, 11:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter
    I remember a book of short stories by Stephen King was quite good and considering you are not looking to get into a long book this might be what you need. The title of the book had the word "Midnight" in it. The short story Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption was in that collection. It was a very good collection of his work and I've read it a zillion times. The librarian would be able to find this for you.
    Are you thinking of the twilight zone?

Jan 17, 2008, 12:45 PM
    Not sure,
    I just want to proved right that books can be more terrifying than films,
    Even though, I've not really found a proper terrifying film... although IT scared me as a kid and the decent was horrible!

Jan 17, 2008, 01:02 PM
    Have you seen the blair witch project? That film gave me the flying heeby geebies big time

Jan 17, 2008, 01:39 PM
    Na it wasn't a book, just an urban ledgend
    friend4u178 Posts: 3,349, Reputation: 1584
    Ultra Member

Jan 17, 2008, 03:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter
    "Four past Midnight" I think from memory
    spudhead3 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2009, 05:49 PM
    Try Charnel House (don't know the author). I read when I was younger - I couldn't look at the cover after awhile... to creepy!:eek:
    urbancowgirl7 Posts: 84, Reputation: 4

Jul 23, 2009, 04:37 PM

It's not really a horror, in fact it's more of a suspence, but I just finished "Life As We Knew It" by Susan Beth Pfeffer and it kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time. I couldn't put it down. Check into it. It might be something you like.
    Hardy23 Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2009, 05:34 AM

100 days. It was terrible. Read it once. This is too much horrible.
    drgrose825 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2009, 06:04 PM
    Personally, I've always like Dean Koontz. Try Fear nothing and the sequal seize the night.
    Ken Milam Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2009, 06:44 PM

I find Stephen Kings stories to be creepy and weird. Not many were "keep the light on" scary for me. If you want disturbing horror you might try Clive Barker (Hellraiser author). If you really want to stay with King, I recommend the Richard Bachman books. Most are relatively short. A decent scare. First read the Lawnmower Man which is nothing like the movie. The studio only used the title. That one will get your Creep on. Happy Haunting.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is a good thesis statement with any book and another book or movie [ 2 Answers ]

Well do u have a good thesis stament for sny book and movie

It's a horror movie! [ 8 Answers ]

I watched this movie when I was younger, I never got to watch the ending because I was too scared and I made my dad turn it off. Ever since then I have been wanting to see the end. The plot is about these four students who are out of school for a break. They go to this cabin out in the wood and the...

Looking for title of horror book [ 4 Answers ]

I am looking for a book I read as a teenager appx. 15 yrs ago. I don't know the name or author of the book but it was a horror novel and I can describe it, please if you have any idea of the exact name author or year it was publised I would be sooo grateful. The story is about couples who were...

Horror [ 1 Answers ]

Early 80s on HBO and I don't remember much. There were some creatures on an island or island resort in the jungle. The only thing I remember for sure is the end the main characters a man and woman are running to a helicopter and one of the things gets on and she starts to fall out and the movie...

Weekly reader book order book from the 80's [ 5 Answers ]

OK, I am so frustrated! I had this book when I was in the 5th grade in the 80's, I'd say it was around 1985 or 1986. Anyway, I loved this book and I lost it when I was a kid and I would give ANYTHING to find it again! I got the book from the Weekly Reader book order in school. There was a girl...

View more questions Search