Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 9, 2013, 07:37 AM
    Odometer
    I have an assignment, and I could use some help!

Party#1 stored motorcycle in friend's (party #2) garage. Party #1 kept it fully insured, went to pick it up after notifying friend, friend wasn't there, garage was locked. Party #2 claims it was a gift, went to Court, Judge ordered bike returned. Mileage on bike is exactly the same as it was when it was dropped off - photos at drop off and pick up.

Neighbors say #2 was riding. #2, of course, says he was not. No surprise there.

How difficult is it to turn back or disconnect odometer? It is simply impossible to believe the scenario (why wouldn't #2 return the bike?) unless #2 was riding -

Any thoughts?

It's a Goldwing, if that matters.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 9, 2013, 09:01 AM
    Odometers are turned back on cars all the time to falisfy mileage, I don't know why it could not be done on a motorcycle as well.

Edit: just checked with a friend and he said yes it can but the true mileage can also be accessed.

You still need one of our super experts on automobiles!
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Jun 9, 2013, 02:56 PM
    Year is going to matter.

On modern cars, and most bikes, it is impossible to turn back an odometer... on the analog style, they break. On the digital style, unless you have access to very expensive equipment to "flash" a new mileage reading, it's not going to happen... and even then it's doubtful.

Now... disconnecting a speedometer/odometer cable on a bike is fairly easy and there is probably where your answer is.
    Uber Member

Jun 9, 2013, 05:56 PM
    Odinn, I suspect it's a disconnect. Is there a way to tell?
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Jun 9, 2013, 08:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Odinn, I suspect it's a disconnect. Is there a way to tell?
    Unfortunately, on any bike I have ever seen, the cable just unscrews from the sending unit or the speedometer head. There is no fool proof way to know for sure that this was done if it is reconnected.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 12, 2013, 05:46 AM
    It would be much easier to disconnect cable and not add miles, than to turn back?
    Uber Member

Jun 12, 2013, 06:53 AM
    Absolutely - and a lot more difficult to prove.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is an odometer [ 6 Answers ]

Odometer [ 1 Answers ]

What is odometer

Speedometer and Odometer [ 0 Answers ]

I have a 1989 Chevrolet C1500 2WD 5.7L. The speedometer and odometer both quit working. Just to rule out any possibilities, I checked the vehicle speed sensor which checked out fine. But, whatever has caused the speedometer and odometer to quit working has also affected the drivibility of the...

Odometer Problems [ 1 Answers ]

Odometer problems with a 2005 nissian altimas?

View more questions Search