Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jemmettp Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2010, 04:09 PM
    Timeing issues
    When I came out of church and got on my bike the battery was completely dead not even lighting up the neutral light. Since I had planned to ride to the beach with my wife I decided to jump it off her bike and contiune the trip as planned.After several hours of riding and several jumps(the battery did not charge a lick while riding) the bike started to sputter and misfire as if the timeing suddenly went haywire. I pulled over and the bike was still running but it was running rough and it stalled out when I tried to pull off. I had just fueled up about 50 miles ago so I had plenty of fuel.At first I thought the charging system was malfunctioning because the battery never took a charge, but after I got the bike home I took the battery off and noticed the ground cable was not very tight. Still the battery did not cause the bike to misfire and what ever happened happened all of a sudden.Reading the honda manual I saw that the ignition control module can throw off the timeing. Having never worked on a bike I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. By the way the bike is a 2000 Honda Shadow Spirit.
    Thank You,
    Joseph
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

May 4, 2010, 12:41 AM

Based on your description, I see two unrelated issues:

1. Loose cable implies charging system damage. Regulator or alernator diode damage. Possible battery damage. Been there, done that when I had my car painted and they didn't tighten the battery cable.

2. I doubt it's a timing issue. Bet you got gas with water in it.
    Seafoam carb cleaner added to the tank in the proper proportions should fix that.

3. The bad cable could have damaged the ICM too, but I'd rule out the first two items first.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do you set the timeing on a lawmorwer [ 2 Answers ]

I took apart my lawnmower to put a gasket on it and when I took it apart the gears inside fell apart. I put them back in but I'm not sure if the timeing on them is corect. Now the lawnmower won't start and it did before I took it apart.

I have issues [ 3 Answers ]

Where to begin... Lets see my family thinks I'm spoiled, my dad hates me, my family hates me, I have quite a few friends but they are never there when I need them, I can admit I'm not good looking I know I don't really have a good looking face, I like a girl that is waaay out of my league that I...

12.5 Briggs timeing [ 1 Answers ]

I put the motor back tougher I was surprised when I placed the head and the spark plug hole was over the valves . I set the dots together for the timing . I tried to start it fired a little . But it seems to be blowing back through carb can you help me?

Errection issues or Attraction issues [ 3 Answers ]

Folks! - I have a problem. I'm 26, my girlfriend is 20 - We both hold eastern values (for the most part) and I've been with her for about 1 year now - we've been having regular sex everyday pretty much for about 8/9 months now - and by regular sex I mean sex every day, sometimes couple of times...

View more questions Search