Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    robinb Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2008, 07:38 AM
    Release from Liability for trampoline use
    We just purchased a trampoline and would like to find a waiver form that can be signed by neighborhood children wishing to use it. We live in Colorado Springs. Where can I find a release form so that we aren't held liable if someone where to get injured?
    tomterm8 Posts: 76, Reputation: 8

May 5, 2008, 07:46 AM
    http://www.jumpskyhigh.com/LiabilityWaiver.pdf would be an example waiver, it must be signed by the parents and not the children. Change the obvious text (i.e. SKY HIGH SPORTS to your own name)
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 5, 2008, 08:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomterm8
    http://www.jumpskyhigh.com/LiabilityWaiver.pdf would be an example waiver, it must be signed by the parents and not the children. Change the obvious text (i.e. SKY HIGH SPORTS to your own name)

Sorry, but I disagree - you have posted a corporate waiver which may or may not work for a corporation but cannot be modified to cover an individual/family.

That being said - you cannot waive your legal right to sue. This is akin to having all the passengers in your auto sign a waiver that they will not sue if you're in an accident. A useless piece of paper.

I've investigated more than a few of these accidents and every time any waiver has been disallowed or just plain thrown out by the Court.

This may also rise to the level of a "Beware of Dog" sign. Would you post such a sign if you didn't think the dog had vicious propensities? Courts in NYS have and are deciding no, you would not; it's not a preventative, it's a warning. Would a waiver indicate you realized there is a risk or you realized you would not be supervising closely?

I can only address NYS, NJ, Pennsylvania, Ohio - might be different in other States but I highly doubt it. It goes back to waiving your legal rights.

There are other threads on this same subject if anyone cares to research.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 5, 2008, 08:25 AM
    I'm going to partially and slightly disagree with Judy here. I think that waiver from SkyHigh could be modified to cover your situation. But that's really a moot question since Judy is 100% right that such a waiver would carry almost no weight in a court.

If someone were injured using the trampoline, then they would sue you for negligence and they can't waive their right to do that. You would be better off contacting your insurance agent and paying for a rider to cover you for liability.
    tomterm8 Posts: 76, Reputation: 8

May 5, 2008, 08:27 AM
    Hi, Judy, as I am English, I don't necessarily know the position in the states, in my country such a waiver would not operate on the principal of barring any legal right of action (this is not possible), but in equity on the principal of Volenti non fit injuria, that is it informs the person that there are clear and inherant risks involved in trampoline and that by agreeing to take part they agree to assume those risks.

It wouldn't protect from knowing negligance - for example, if someone knew that the trampoline was unsafe because a spring was damaged, and this wasn't clear to the participant.
    Uber Member

May 5, 2008, 09:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomterm8
    Hi, Judy, as i am English, i don't necessarily know the position in the states, in my country such a waiver would not operate on the principal of barring any legal right of action (this is not possible), but in equity on the principal of Volenti non fit injuria, that is it informs the person that there are clear and inherant risks involved in trampoline and that by agreeing to take part they agree to assume those risks.

it wouldn't protect from knowing negligance - for example, if someone knew that the trampoline was unsafe because a spring was damaged, and this wasn't clear to the participant.

It's different here, at least in NYS. You can't waive your rights.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 5, 2008, 01:50 PM
    The wavior is always a good idea, it may give some level of protection but not much. Even with it, they can still sue for some level of neglect.

Also even if you are not home, if someone would tresspass on your property and get hurt they can still sue you.

So I wouild do it and have them sign a one but even so, a court would expect someone there watching minor children at all times,
    Uber Member

May 5, 2008, 02:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    The wavior is always a good idea, it may give some level of protection but not much. Even with it, they can still sue for some level of neglect.

Also even if you are not home, if someone would tresspass on your property and get hurt they can still sue you.

So I wouild do it and have them sign a one but even so, a court would expect someone there watching minor children at all times,

And there are homeowners insurance companies now that ask about trampolines - along with swimming pools - and can refuse to write the policy or prorate it.

(Between this and breed banning underwriters must be very, very busy.)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trampoline Waiver [ 3 Answers ]

I own a small day care business. We just got a trampoline. Is it legal for me to let my daycare kids use it? And if it is, where can I get a waiver form?

Trampoline injuries and liability [ 2 Answers ]

What is the liability for having a trampoline in my yard and if someone gets hurt while playing on it?

Release to another state from Iowa work release [ 5 Answers ]

My dad put in a transfer to Florida as he is in Iowa work release about a month ago, how long should it take? I can't wait to see him... They said Des Moines already approved it... Please help Sheena:confused:

MN Trampoline Liability Waiver Form [ 2 Answers ]

Hello - I purchased a 14' trampoline for my daughter and of course all the neighbor children want to go on it. Can you tell me where I can get a Liability Waiver Form for the trampoline for Minnesota? Thank you

Trampoline liability [ 0 Answers ]

I have recently purchased a full-size round trampoline for my two kids, 5 and 7. It is in our fenced (3 1/2 ft.) backyard, which is visible to at least a dozen homes in the neighborhood. All of a sudden, every kid in the neighborhood wants to come over and make friends---and the first thing they...

View more questions Search