Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    withloveyourfoe Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2007, 07:32 PM
    Blank monitor screen at bootup
    So after reformatting my PC, I decided to flash the BIOS... I did it, all worked well and okay... but after a week or so of trying to pinpoint WHY the monitor remains blank at startup, I went to the motherboard's manual, and discovered that the default video output is PCI... I do not have a pci video card... ive an AGP but no PCI... is there anyway, shape or form to somehow make bios display AGP first? Before PCI? Because I really do not want to have to throw away money on a new PCI card when I've got a perfectly capable AGP VC in front of me :(

Thanks in advance,
    Withlove
    abaka Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2007, 09:06 PM
    I don't think the changing the order of AGP in bios make no any different. As your note I feel your computer not booting and default video PCI want make no any different. (in my computer although I am using AGP default is PCI)
    1)Try to change the booting order in the bios.
    2) check your floppy and Cd rom
    3) have you installed new H/W remove them and check

You may need to reinstall intall the operating system again

Jan 6, 2007, 02:27 PM
    It has no operating system on it, as I reformatted recently... I can't get into BIOS to change boot config due to the fact the monitor isn't displaying ANYTHING on bootup... no POST screen, etc... and also, no new HW has been installed... :confused:
    Morrowrj Posts: 345, Reputation: 22

Jan 6, 2007, 04:37 PM
    Could you perhaps "borrow" a pci card from another machine or perhaps a friend or relatives computer. You would only need it for about an hour I would estimate. Save some $ that way . Also did you check a possible jumper configuration on your board to change default ? You didn't specify what board you are using, make and model may help if you still have trouble.

Good Luck
    abaka Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2007, 08:34 PM
    What about you r power supply if the P/S lower quality there is a possibility.
    Check with a different monitor
    As morrowrj said try another pci or check your AGP with another PC
    Make sure that your CPU properly fit in the socket and fan work properly?
    Mr Koi Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2007, 06:30 AM
    :) umm I'm guessing you don't know much about your computer? Well lets first start how long ago did you purchased your computer? And second are you sure there isn't an agp slot on your motherboard? If you bought a new computer recently it should be pci express your AGP card will not be compatible with the motherboard. So get back at me and I will try to help you out.

Jan 8, 2007, 04:36 AM
    Mr koi... the PC I'm currently on supports PCI-E graphics, however the PC I'm having troubles with doesn't support PCI-e... there IS an agp slot... however it does not show post screen when I boot... whether I use onboard graphics, PCI card (took an old 5500 out of my old, OLD pc) or my agp 6200 the post screen isn't available... I've got 350W of power to the PC... maybe that's the issue? Ill try with a 550W PSU later today after school... see if it solve the issue
    Mr Koi Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2007, 10:00 AM
    I don't think it would be the power supplies problem because it should be able to handle the vid card and run everything else fine. Hmm this is a hard one I need to look into it more.
    Morrowrj Posts: 345, Reputation: 22

Jan 8, 2007, 02:53 PM
    Can you tell us what motherboard you are using? Or is it a Brand Pc? Also , did it ever work after the bios upgrade ?
    Next, do you get power leds on the front of your computer ?
    Does the machine skip the bios screen and go straight to a c:> prompt ? Or does it display absolutely nothing at any point in time?
    Answer these questions and we will see if we can help

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Monitor screen blank [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Dell Dimension XPS-B533r. The PC starts, but beeps three times. The power button on the PC is not lit but the fan is running and there is an orange light on the cpu that is lit. The monitor turns on but the screen remain black. The status light on the monitor is flashing green. The monitor...

Blank Screen at start up [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all, I have recently upgraded my PC at home and built it all myself in my existing case. I offered my friend my old parts etc. and I offered to build him a PC out of the old parts (seeing as I had been so successful with my PC :confused: ). All that has been added that is new is a HDD &...

Blank screen on start up [ 3 Answers ]

OK... I built my comp w/ a iwill kd266 & amd tbird 1.1 ghz I recently opened to add a dvd drive and when I reconnected everything and turned it on, the screen remains blank... 512 mb SDRAM 80 gb hd 52x CD-Rom 16x DVD-Rom 48x CD-RW ati radeon 7000 64 mb pci soundblaster 5.1 belkin 10/100...

Blank screen [ 3 Answers ]

While on the internet my computer froze up and when I did control alt delete my screen went blank with all wavy lines. I shut the machine off and sbooted up again only to get the blank screen with wavy lines. No matter what I try I cannot get to my desktop. Can anyone help? :eek:

Blank screen at start-up [ 2 Answers ]

At each cold start, the screen remains blank. Only after two restarts or resets, screen comes up and everything works correctly.? Have put in another videocard (GF2) and then monitor display came up at first try. Then tried my videocard (GF4Ti4200) in another PC and worked properly as well....

View more questions Search