Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    confused25 Posts: 319, Reputation: 98

Mar 30, 2008, 12:19 PM
    Blood in Semen
    Okay so a close cousin of mine who is 20 years old just confided in me that he saw blood in his semen after a wet dream. He went to the doctor and had both his urine and semen tested. Everything was normal in his urine but the doctor did find blood in his semen. The doctor told my cousin that the problem could be a number of things so he needs to see a urologist. He is going to make an appointment once the weekend is over.

So here are my questions:
    1. Has anyone been through this? If so what are your experiences?

2. In order to see a urologist do you need a documented referral from a doctor? Or can anyone just make an appointment?

Thank you in advance for all the help. I'm a little worried about him so I want some outside input on the situation. Thanks!
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Mar 30, 2008, 02:30 PM
    To answer your question... I've never been through it myself but have seen patients who have been through it. And no, no referral is necessary... you can make an appointment (unless the urologist requires one... but I doubt many urologists actually require one)

Traces of blood in semen is called hematospermia... it's normally due to damage in the blood vessel of the urinary tract or prostate.

Luckily, in most cases, it clears up on its own within a few weeks... and in most cases, it's a minor problem... it's rare that hematospermia presents itself with a serious issue.

Possible causes are: uti, problems with prostate, gonorrhea, chlamydia, trauma, etc.

Regardless, it's better to be safe than sorry, so making an appointment with the urologist is a safe bet.

Mar 30, 2008, 07:20 PM
    Thanks a lot for your advice Sneezy! I'm going to relay the information to my cousin right now. Again, I appreciate the help.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 30, 2008, 07:31 PM
    As for the refferal, that depends on his insurance company, if they require one, he needs it, but if this doctor is sending him that is a refferal.

Mar 30, 2008, 07:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    As for the refferal, that depends on his insurance company, if they require one, he needs it, but if this doctor is sending him that is a refferal.
    Unfortunately he doesn't have insurance. He is will to pay whatever is necessary, but sadly no insurance to help. Will that be a problem?
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Mar 30, 2008, 07:52 PM
    A visit to the urologist may be a bit expensive... but if he's willing to pay, then I think a private urologist shouldn't have a problem seeing him.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why are sperm tails lost before the heads? [ 1 Answers ]

Why is that sperm tails are lost before the heads? Also do heads last longer than other forensically significant proteins?

Drying out of semen [ 1 Answers ]

How long would I take semen to die if it was on your inner thigh? Quick response please...

How much semen goes in? [ 6 Answers ]

How much semen goes inside the female after sex?We are trying to conceive.After intercourse,I keep two pillows under my hip.By the time I keep the pillows,all the semen flows out of me.I am worried if anything goes in at all.Is this normal?

View more questions Search