Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    misjules Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2008, 10:51 AM
    Best way to lighten accidental almost black hair?
    I have dyed my hair a few times this year and all have been pretty successful - same color and everything each time. This time, however, I tried dyingit the same dark brown and it turned out to be pretty dark, almost black and I can't stand it this dark. I read you can use Prell or Dawn with a shampoo, but I also read on Clairol (the brand I used) that you can use its Luminize Kit Gentle Conditioning Lightener which comes in a clear that is supposed to lighten one shade naturally or it comes in an ash/gold/red/etc. I have naturally red based hair so I always use a neutral dye to avoid any red.. but my question is should I use this "Luminize kit" with the developer it comes with? If so should I use the clear or ash? Or should I avoid it and just try the Prell or Dawn? If I were to use any of these, is it certain my hair will turn lighter to a dark brown? My roots are slightly lighter (probably something only I notice and tell myself it doesn't all look black) but I would like all my hair to be a rich dark brown - not this gothic black that seems to be darker at the ends? Please help me out.
    PunkChic Posts: 986, Reputation: 51

May 21, 2008, 04:12 AM
    I think using a deep cleansing shampoo would be better as you don't really want to be putting any lighteners on it (to avoid hair damage). After a couple of washes you will see some lightening. Remember to condition your hair as deep cleansing shampoos are a bit drying :p

May 21, 2008, 07:49 AM
    I tried washing it with Prell - didn't work. I then washed it with Prell and Dawn.. a lot of Prell and Dawn.. - didn't work either.

What other deep cleansing shampoo is there? Would it work better than Prell/Dawn?

Has anyone used this Clairol Luminize stuff? How well does it work? Would it turn my hair brown or just a light black? I don't know what "one level shift" would be from black.

Ugh, I'm getting desperate. I'm really not a black hair type of chick..
    PunkChic Posts: 986, Reputation: 51

May 21, 2008, 01:53 PM
    Did you get the info on Prell from this site?
    How To Use Dawn Dishwashing Liquid for Lightening Hair | eHow.com

I've not used Clairol Luminize but thought it was for natural hair colour? Not sure.

Pantene, Tresemme, Paul Mitchell, Nu:u, etc have a clarifying/deep cleansing shampoo that you might want to check out.

After each shampoo your hair should get lighter. I know it's frustrating, but would you rather bleach it out?

May 21, 2008, 04:04 PM
    Yeah I think I read just about every "I dyed my hair too dark it looks black" page on the internet but I haven't found much about Clairol Luminize - just blondes that have used it and that really doesn't help.

Thanks for the suggestions though. I bought the Luminize kit in case it doesn't fade after a few days or so, and even another thing of dye, a shade lighter that is, in case the kit goes a bit too light. If all works well though, I figure I'd use it in a few months when I need to do my hair again anyway.

Only bright side of this black hair? The gray coverage is amazing :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I lighten black hair dye [ 9 Answers ]

I dyed my hair a black shade. Called natural black. I thought because it was not blue black it would not be so harsh, WRONG. Just horrid. It makes my pale 45 yr old face look tired and haggard. I need to lighted this up without stripping. Please help.

How can I lighten dyed black hair? Can I ever dye it light brown again? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! I've read a couple of posts on this subject but I was wondering... I dyed my hair dark brown but it turned out blue-black. I rushed to the store and bought Color Oops! (it's supposed to reverse the dye and bring you back to your original hair color) and it lightened and I thought my...

Natural black hair that's dyed black, how can I lighten it? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi im new to this! Ive been dying my hair black for about 2 years. My hair is naturally very dark brown/almost black already. Id really like to color it a light brown. should i strip my hair color, then proceedto try a light brown? thanks so much for any kind of help!:o

Peroxide mixture to lighten dyed black hair [ 1 Answers ]

I am new to this so bare with me. Iwould like to find out what combination of hydrogen peroxide and shampoo or something else I could use to lighten my daughters hair. Any suggestions? Thanks.

View more questions Search