Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RVerhine Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2007, 03:28 PM
    Father's rights
    I have a two year old daughter and her father has known about her since I was 2 months pregnant. He told me that I had to have an abortion or give her up for adoption. He quit his job, changed his phone number and moved so that I couldn't find him. I didn't speak with him again until her second Christmas. He called from a private number and when I asked if he'd like to meet her he told me not for a few years. I was wondering if I filled for child support would he be able to gain any custody rights to her?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 24, 2007, 03:30 PM
    If you filed for child support, and you should, she is just as much his responsibility as yours, he would have rights to visitation if he chose to pursue visitation. You would have sole and legal custody and, if he wants, he could have limited or liberal visitation, whatever the court orders.
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Oct 24, 2007, 03:45 PM
    Child support has no bearing on custody or visitation... he can pursue these rights whenever he wishes... with or without child support.

But, as is the case with a lot of men who are not in the picture... filing for child support can push them to file for visitation.

You should get child support, as your child deserves financial support from both the mother and the father.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Father's rights [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter gave birth to my beautiful grandson 9 months ago. Although she is only 19, she has a good job in a corporate structure and is really doing well. She is a wonderful mother. My question: The father has not been involved since she was two months into her pregnancy. He is aware of where we...

Father's rights [ 1 Answers ]

MY daughter was born in Tennessee and we then moved to SC and was there less than a year. My girlfriend up and left and took the baby back to GA to her parents. We were never married but I am on the birth certificate as the father. Also, I had a DNA test done and the baby is mine. My ex...

Father's rights [ 4 Answers ]

What are the father's rights to a 1 yr. old baby even though the parents are not married?

Father's Rights [ 1 Answers ]

My best friend just had a baby, and now the father of the baby is taking her to court for custody (he is threatening to at least). My friend and the baby's father were never married, but he signed the birth certificate. My friend does not want to let him take the baby because he is an alcoholic,...

Father's rights [ 8 Answers ]

I have a five year old daughter. Her father was a registered sex offender (I did not know)and left for AK when she was born. I made it clear I wanted nothing to do with him. I have not seen or heard from him in over four years. He knew about his daughter but to my knolwledge has never tried to find...

View more questions Search