Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    randyjim Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2008, 08:55 PM
    Extremely high alt and ast level in 8 y/o
    Hello. My 8 y/o son is being treated for adhd and possible mood disorder. He has been on depakote (500mg/day) for two weeks and just started risperdal. However, his alt (sgpt) is 186 (normal 0-55) and his ast (sgot) is 122 (normal 0-60). Is this dangerous to him? How can it be lowered?
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Apr 16, 2008, 11:25 PM
    Have you spoken to your son's doctor about his high levels of ast and alt? I'm sure you already know this, but high levels of ast and alt are indications of liver damage.

The combination of ris and dep are pretty common, even with the addition of prozac included to make it a cocktail, however, people taking this combination often have to have their blood levels monitored as it does a number on your liver.

I'm assuming that the doctor has taken his blood and has seen these numbers... what does he/she suggest?
    randyjim Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2008, 07:38 AM
    I have a call into the doctor. Jon is in the hospital being stabilized now and the doctor has not called back. I read an article that stated strattera can cause these high enzymes and that they will continue to increase for several weeks after the med is discontinued. He was on strattera for a week and a half and has been off it for a week.
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2008, 07:44 AM
    It could be strattera, yes, but high levels of ast and alt are pretty common with people that are taking dep and ris, which is why blood level monitoring is pretty much the protocol.

I certainly hope that he's doing better. Keep us updated.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Nitrite level to high [ 6 Answers ]

I bought a 75 gal fish tank on the 4 July 07 I bought some fish and did not know about the cycle thing, I do now .All of my fish died except one the rainbow shark. Which I still have.A few weeks ago my ammonia level was way up so I used a ammonia lock and it made my water so cloudy that I could not...

My toilet flange is too high and not level [ 15 Answers ]

Yes yes.. I'm a rookie. OK... Just wondering what I can do with my toilet flange. After I installed it I realize that the flange is about 1/4" higher than the floor and it is tilted to one side. Do you think an extra thick wax ring will allow me to level out my toilet AND compress it...

Toilet water level too high [ 2 Answers ]

I have just purchased a house with two Kohler toilets and the water in the bowl is filling higher than necessary. I have tried adjusting the riser valve which only lowers the water in the tank, not the bowl. Any suggestions. Blueleader10:)

High alkiline level [ 5 Answers ]

What can I do, if from the urine test strip I am using, I have a high alkiline result.

View more questions Search