Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jrgm13 Posts: 37, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2014, 07:50 AM
    Need $2500 for five months after new heart
    My neighboor has been on social security dissability for 19 months and has had a heart transplant. His medicare don't start untell June 1, 2015 and his cobra coverage will run out jan 1, 2015. He needs $2500 a month for transplant meds for 5 months... they don't have much money. Does anyone have any ideas where he can get the meds? We live in Iowa.
    Thanks
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Nov 20, 2014, 10:06 AM
    I think some details are lacking. If he is on SSDI, then he gets Medicare now, or should. But that doesn't cover drugs unless he has Part D. He probably qualifies for Medicaid, which as of 1/1/14 only has an income limit, not an asset limit. Medicaid covers EVERYTHING not covered by Medicare! It is state run (welfare) so he needs to apply at his nearest state welfare office. (Wondering if he needed to pay for Cobra all these months, but that's for him to sort out.)

You are trying to do this second hand and it's too confusing. If he can't get to the state offices, you could help by calling his town social worker.

He just needs 3 things to cover all expenses including drugs: SSDI, Medicare, and Medicaid.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 20, 2014, 06:46 PM
    If he is on cobra, he has a right, to purchase, that same policy from the company.
    It may cost high ( but not 2500) so he merely needs to purchase, his policy from as a private policy from Cobra, and continue coverage

Also, depending on where he lives, check though the State health exchange on the new programs,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can babies survive with heart problems at 7 months [ 2 Answers ]

Baby has slow heart rate and mother seems to be in delicate conditon

5 months pregnant and heart broken [ 3 Answers ]

I am 19 years old and I am 20 weeks pregnant with my first child. Me and my boyfriend had been together for 7 months, however this weekend he decided that he does not want me anymore. He finished with me on 3 separate occasions throughout the weekend and changed his mind each time, me being an...

I haven't seen my grandchildren in 6 months and it is breaking my heart [ 1 Answers ]

I tried to answer to another thread but it is just jumping me around all over so its probably me not knowing what I am doing... I want to say I am beside myself with hurt on not seeing my grandchildren for so many months, it's a long , complicating story involving hate , vengeance , getting back...

7 months on F1; 2 months on OPT; 3 months on H1B - what tax form should I Use? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, 1. I am Indian Citizen 2. I am single 3. I was in school from July 2005 to May 2007. I graduated from school in May 2007. 4. I started working from August 13, 2007. a) First on, OPT until September 30, 2007 b) then on H1B visa from October 1, 2007 to December 31, 2007 (Still working)...

View more questions Search