Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    88sunflower Posts: 1,207, Reputation: 462
    Ultra Member

Jun 11, 2009, 12:12 PM
    Watering and roots
    I have this plant that if I water it too much it starts to die. But I took a leaf off it and put it in a cup of water and its growing roots like crazy. I don't understant that. If you water the plant too much it dies, but it in acual water and its root crazy?? Makes no sense. Why?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 11, 2009, 12:48 PM

Sunflower, good question. It is a baby so taking nutrients from wherever it can get them and growing... right. Biologically I don't know the answer but whatever I do, my plants grow.

Lots of hugs and talk to your plants every day and provide 'daycare'.

Ms tickle
    Ultra Member

Jun 11, 2009, 12:58 PM
    Thanks tickle. It was just a random thought I had sitting here looking at them. Puzzles me. One more question you might know. I haven't ever grown a plant from a shoot off another. This is the first time. How thick should the roots get before I put them in dirt?
    Expert

Jun 11, 2009, 01:15 PM

It isn't how thick, but how many. There is a really good 'starting medium' you can buy from a nursery outlet, or a florist. It is a gel that accepts plants to generate healthy roots. I haven't heard of this in a long time, so if you find it, let me know.

When I start a plant I look for multiple root shoots, then I plant. And don't ever change the water you generate the plant in, just add whater and when you transfer to a good potting soil always use the water you started the plant in. Makes sense, right.

I have used miracle grow for years; a healthy start and constant replenishment for outdoor plants, shrubs and trees. Good plug, eh. but yes it works.

Kindest as always

Tick
    Ultra Member

Jun 11, 2009, 01:24 PM
    Guess I can get it ready for soil then. I see like 8 nice thick long roots. Perfect. Thanks again.
    Expert

Jun 12, 2009, 04:30 AM

Hi sunflower. I always have great satisfaction starting a little piece of plant in water in a sunny window and watching the roots form. Better still, finally planting it and having greater satisfaction when it takes and becomes an adult plant. It's a good feeling. I wonder if men feel the same way when nurturing a plant like that ?

Kindest regards

Tick
    Ultra Member

Jun 12, 2009, 06:11 AM
    Hard to tell what men think at times.

But I agree. For the past few years I have been more and more in to plants and gardenings and putting out flowers. One part of my garden I have my tomatoe plants and flowers all planted in together. It sounds crazy but in full bloom its all so darn pretty. I do bird feeders and plant giant sunflowers right near them. The birds love eating off the sunflowers. I just prefer lower mantenance plants you know since I am still new and learning.
    Expert

Jun 12, 2009, 07:35 AM

You may want to consider planting all perrenials such as Hostas, so many different leaf patterns and sizes and colours. My garden is all perrenial. I prefer to spend my money on shrubs and flowers that come up every year. I never buy annuals. Hostas can also be split up year after year so your purchase doubles and triples, year after year.

Your garden sounds great, sunflower.

Tick
    Ultra Member

Jun 12, 2009, 07:38 AM
    I did look at Hostas. But I wasn't sure how much they flowered. But thanks again! I will look in to them now more since the summer is just starting.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rain Dial Lawn Watering Pop-Ups [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Rain Dial (James Hardie Irrigation for Models RD-600, RD-900, RD-1200) home lawn irrigation system for the front and back yard. There are 3 Program phases: A,B and C). I have everything set up on the A Phase: 1. Front lawn watering 2. Back yard watering 3. Dripper system for...

Sago palm watering [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I have a blooming female sago palm, will top watering or rain affect the reproduction of my palm?

Watering gardens [ 3 Answers ]

:D when do you water your garden some say never at night Other people say never in the mornings I am confused mango246

How big should my lizards watering bowl be [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 55 gallon tank and I wonder I have a watering dish but it is the size of a quarter of a regular cup do you think I need a bigger wattering bowl and I have 5 brown anole lizards:D

View more questions Search