Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CopeWithLife Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2006, 09:33 AM
    Anxiety Panic
    As many people have said that their symptoms are not voluntary actions and are not intentional but their impulsive. When people are not aware of the panic or anxiety attacks a person has what then should the person who has the disorder do if the other person isn't aware of their disorder?
    :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
    kp42484 Posts: 39, Reputation: 16

May 13, 2006, 11:42 AM
    Hi,

Do you mean that you wish to know how to inform strangers that you have a condition when they see your symptoms and probably won't understand?

I would say that if someone sees you having a panic or anxiety attack, after it has passed, or even during, let them know to not worry, and give a short explanation. People will probably find symptoms weird or worrysome, and if you let them know, "I'm sorry, I am prone to anxiety attacks; I'll be fine in a few minutes." it might allay their concerns.

I have a coworker who has anxiety attacks, and at first we couldn't understand why he would behave a certain way. All he had to do is warn us that he has anxiety attacks, and we knew not to worry too much. I too thought that he was doing things on purpose, but a polite correction is all it took to make me understand. This should work for you too.

Another example: I have OCD, and sometimes, when people catch me doing one of my compulsions, I just smile and kind of laugh at myself to let them know that all is okay. I say something to the effect of, "oh please excuse me; I have a disorder." You don't even have to tell them that much, just saying 'you can't help it' or 'excuse me' would suffice. However, if you need help, you can always politely ask. Most will not deny helping you if you ask and explain your symptoms.

Hope this helps.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

May 14, 2006, 06:04 AM
    Hi,
    It's your choice. Either tell the person what you think, and explain it to them, what they are doing.
    Or, don't say anything. If this is a friend, you could run the risk of losing a friend. If it's a good "true friend", they might be glad you said something.
    I do wish you the best, and good luck.
    Homecoming Posts: 26, Reputation: 5

May 30, 2006, 05:44 PM
    I had unexplained panic attacks after an operation. It totally debilitated me, to the point I didn't leave home for 2yrs. I later found out that a female spirit had jumped in my body during an operation and as soon as I got her out the impulses stopped and my emotions finally came under control.
    Just food for thought
    Homecoming
    jep1982 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2006, 12:29 AM
    I can only answer this as someone who suffers from anxiety and/or panic attacks...

In between breaths, I will tell whoever is near me (if there happens to be someone) that I'm having an anxiety attack, and I'll be fine. It always works for me... And the breathing thing is good too... Long deep breaths. In through the mouth, and out through the mouth. Once Im calm enough I also try to think about what brought on the attack. Talking out loud or with someone is helpful. Also writing your thoughts down on paper can help put things in prospective. I don't quite understand if you have the attacks or if a friend of yours does, but usually a straight up answer/reply is fine. If its you, tell that person what I said above. If it's a friend, ask them if they're okay, and get your answer, whether it's a nod, or a downright yes. Keep them calm by telling them everything's going to be okay. Also if its yourself, keep repeating the same mantra in your head. "Its going to be okay, I'll get through this." When your friend is calm enough and through the attack, give them some pointers of the above mentioned. Ive been dealing with this for 11 years myself, so I know what works and what generally doesn't. Everyone is different, but there are just a few options for you and/or your friend.

Hope everything works out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is it normal right before marriage to panic sometimes? [ 8 Answers ]

Okay I am about to get married and usually I am so excited and like yea woohoo, but then sometimes I totally panic, and I am like crap what if I can't be a great wife for this guy? OR what if we do drive each other nuts? Crap what if we are getting married to fast? What if I am wrong and this...

Panic attacks [ 2 Answers ]

Our nine week old Rhoesdian Ridgeback is having panic attacks. We are crate training her and it seemed to be going well until we tried to close the door. She absolutely freaked out and got so worked up in the space of 1 minute that she threw up her lunch. It was surprising as we often close the...

Anxiety [ 2 Answers ]

Here I am at home again. I was invited to visit with a co-worker this weekend. I really want to go. I enjoy her company and we get along well at work. I didn't call. This happens all the time with me. There are so many things that I enjoy, people, church, friends, family, picnics, etc. At work, I...

View more questions Search