Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Mar 5, 2008, 11:53 AM
    Is the cure causing the disease?
    After the internet/stock market bubble burst in 2000 the Fed lowered interest rates dramatically, which led to a huge runup in real estate and other interest-rate-sensitive asset prices. Now that this asset/credit bubble has burst, the Fed is lowering interest rates again. Will this really help, or will it just re-ignite the same asset-inflation fire? Here's the view of somebody who has watched a similar situation unfold in Japan over the last several years. What do you think?

Double Bubble Trouble
    Allheart Posts: 1,639, Reputation: 436
    Ultra Member

Mar 5, 2008, 12:21 PM
    OG - I'm not quite sure.

On a selfish note - Glad the rates are so low as hubby and I had to take out a home equity loan and the rates are very low. They told us to lock in next week as they expect it to go lower.

But - I don't see it helping. I also don't see a real esate boom either with the lower rates.
    Things are very tight for a lot of folks and even the lower rates are not attracting people.

But it sure helped with my monthly payment. Will it make me spend more? Gosh, I hope not. :(.
    Vivi1987 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2008, 02:53 AM
    If you come to think of it, it will happen over and over and over again. It was proven by history. So yeah it will re-ignite the same asset-inflation fire in years to come, mostly depends on the interest of people wanting to buy more or afford more. So we are only to blame ourselves for it.
    Lowering interest rates again will help, but the people might want to wait and see how low can it go.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the cure for eczema? [ 14 Answers ]

What's the natural way of curing eczema? I went to the dermatologists and she prescribed me topical steroid, I saw some improvements in the first 4 weeks thereafter non.What is the most effective way of curing eczema? Please help.

How can I cure my nausea? [ 2 Answers ]

From yesterday afternoon to today, I've been feeling very nauseated. I have a pretty high fever, and I get extremely cold most of the time. I can't really eat anything, except maybe fruit but I'm not sure. And I can barely walk, or even move, without feeling discomfort. What can I do to get rid...

The Cure. [ 3 Answers ]

I believe this is where this type of question should be posted... I was curious if someone had any idea on how to convert a live DVD concert to the correct audio format... so I could play it on my iPod (nano) -- . I heard/read it somewhere that it's possible... My search on trying to find out how...

Getting off the cure [ 2 Answers ]

Having successfully quit smoking using Chantrix, I am wondering if I will experience cravings for cigarettes when I try to stop the medication. Although Chantrix has helped a lot, the withdrawal symptoms still wear you down and I am not sure if I will have the strengh to withstand another couple of...

View more questions Search