Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hg1047 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2007, 08:02 AM
    10 month wakes up 4-5 times a night!
    I love my weimaraner, Hurley. He is 10 months years old. He use to wake me up 1-2 times a night to use the restroom which was slightly annoying but mangable. The last few weeks though he has been waking up 4-5 times a night. He doesn't always use the restroom either. I have been taking him on 20 minutes runs in the morning and long walks in the evening follwed up playing fetch for another 15-20 minutes. I usually feed him around 10 AM. He is not crate trained because he does so well in the house. If I try to shut him out of the bedroom he just cries on the other side of the door until I get up to take him out. I really feel like I'm losing my mind because of lack of sleep. PLEASE HELP!!

Heather
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Sep 14, 2007, 01:34 PM
    Well, Heather, it appears that you know you have a high energy dog that needs lots of exercise. That is good. There are some questions that come to my mind after reading your post so that my answers may not be as effective as I would like. You didn't mention if it was solely a urination problem or both urination and defecation. Are you only having these problems with his urination/defecation at night? Is he able to hold it during the day for hours on end? If this is only a nighttime problem, I would suggest that you don't feed him any later than 6 p.m. in the evening and pick his water bowl up for the night no later than 7 p.m. Walk him in the early evening if that is your usual routine. Then, immediately prior to your going to sleep, give him a walk and make sure he empties his bowels and bladder. Do not give him any food or water until the morning. If the problem is just urination and he can't seem to go for more than a couple of hours during both the day & night, he may have a urinary tract infection (UTI) and it is time to make an appointment with the vet. That is easily cleared up with medication. Please post back & let us know how you both are doing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Landlord Requireing 60 day notice to vacate on Month to Month Lease [ 5 Answers ]

I've lived in this apartment for 4 years. For the past year we have been going month to month, as we anticipated we might need to move out when we purchased a condo. Well, we got the condo, and now need to close in 1 month, yet the management in our apartment complex tells us we need to give...

My 2 yr old wakes up screaming [ 4 Answers ]

I Have A 2 Yr Girl That Will Not Sleep Through The Night. We Used To Be Able To Put Her In Her Crib & She Would Fall Asleep On Her Own. Now If We Put Her To Sleep In Her Crib She Wakes Up About 2 Hrs Later Screaming. We Have Tried To Let Her Just Cry But After An Hr It Gets Worse; If By Some...

16 week maltese pup wakes up early [ 2 Answers ]

Hi everyone my pup wakes up at 5:30am barking letting me know she needs to go out of course l let her out to do her stuff than when l bring her in she doesn't want to go back into her crate to sleep but if l lay her on me laying on the couch she will sleep a couple more hours. I know if l bring her...

Dog Wakes Me Up at Night: HELP! [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I adopted a male "shelter" dog last week... a young (less than a year but probably older than six months according to the vetinarian) black lab mix. He's a great dog... affectionate, obedient, and seems to be housetrained. He gets walks and bathroom breaks up to 5 times a day so maybe he...

View more questions Search