Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Trischlynn Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2007, 03:45 AM
    Hep C Treatment
    What is the newest treatment for Hepatitis C?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 10, 2007, 04:39 AM
    Currently, there are three types of interferon and a combination of interferon and ribavirin used to treat hepatitis C. Selection of patients for treatment may be determined by biochemical, virologic, and when necessary, liver biopsy findings, rather than presence or absence of symptoms.

Interferon is given by injection, and may have a number of side effects including flu-like symptoms including headaches, fever, fatigue, loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, depression and thinning of hair. It may also interfere with the production of white blood cells and platelets by depressing the bone marrow. Periodic blood tests are required to monitor blood cells and platelets. Ribavirin can cause sudden, severe anemia, and birth defects so women should avoid pregnancy while taking it and for 6 months following treatment. The severity and type of side effects differ for each individual. Treatment of children with HCV is not currently approved but is under investigation.

While 50-60% of patients respond to treatment initially, lasting clearance of the virus occurs in about 10-40% of patients. Treatment may be prolonged and given a second time to those who relapse after initial treatment. Re-treatment with bioengineered consensus interferon alone results in elimination of the virus in 58% of patients treated for one year. Side effects occur but the medication is usually well tolerated. Combined therapy (interferon and ribavirin) shows elimination of the virus in 47% after 6 months of therapy. Side effects from both drugs may be prominent.

Currently, almost one half of all liver transplants in the U.S. are performed for end-stage hepatitis C. However, re-infection of the transplanted liver by HCV occurs at a high rate. Fortunately, this infrequently requires a second transplant.

Anyone with hepatitis C should be vaccinated against hepatitis A and B and should not drink alcohol.

Try to maintain as normal a life as possible by eating a well balanced diet, exercising and keeping a positive attitude. Avoid depressing or overwhelming tasks and learn how to pace yourself, rest when you feel tired. Plan physically exhausting tasks in the morning when your energy level is at its peak.

Diagnosing and Treating Hepatitis - Hepatitis Foundation International (HAV, HBV, HCV, HDV, HEV)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hep c [ 4 Answers ]

What is the newest treatment available for hep c type 1. I have been on treatment before but it did not work

Hep c [ 2 Answers ]

Is it possible to have chronic hep c or chronic fatigue after hep c treament and virule load is normal

Hep B [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering if I would have anything to worry about if I was working with someone that has been confermed with Hep B? Also if some one was to work at there desk is there any chance of getting them getting Hep B? Or is there something that we have to do to clean the desk before the sub gets to...

Hep C [ 2 Answers ]

I have a cousin that has Hepititus C and the meds they are giving him make him get mean so he is just going to give up. He is in LA. Is there any help for him?

View more questions Search