Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2007, 11:38 AM
    My hair is falling out!
    The past 2 weeks my hair has been falling out in CLUMPS! It is scaring the crap out of me, I'm afraid I'm going bald or something. I'm only 23! What is causing this, and what can I do?

I did recently get a Mirena IUD inserted, would that have anything to do with it? It does have a low dose of hormones.

Thank you, any help would be appreciated. :)
    GlindaofOz Posts: 2,334, Reputation: 354
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2007, 11:41 AM
    Have you ever had your thyroid checked? I'm hypo and my hair falls out in clumps all the time.

Maybe it is the IUD, do you have any info on its side effects? I'm not familiar at all with IUD's.
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2007, 11:43 AM
    Well nothing on the internet said anything about the IUD causing your hair to fall out, but I was thinking maybe it just wasn't listed?

I have never had my thyroid checked. Should I? I mean I clean out my brush every time before I use it, and by the time I am done it is FULL of hair. Not to mention all the hair that falls out in the shower, and all the hair that is entangled in my hair bands. Even my husband and my kids are usually covered in my hair!
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2007, 11:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nauticalstar420
    Well nothing on the internet said anything about the IUD causing your hair to fall out, but i was thinking maybe it just wasnt listed?

I have never had my thyroid checked. Should I? I mean I clean out my brush every time before I use it, and by the time I am done it is FULL of hair. Not to mention all the hair that falls out in the shower, and all the hair that is entangled in my hair bands. Even my husband and my kids are usually covered in my hair!

I would it wouldn't hurt to have your TSH, t3, t4 all checked out. Hair falling out for no reason is a pretty good symptom. The other biggie is feeling hot when others are cool or vice versa, unexplained weight gains or losses.

Make sure your doctors also accounts for the fact that you are on birth control. Hormones from because can mask thyroid problems.
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2007, 12:04 PM
    Thanks so much! I will have that checked out. I haven't noticed any weight fluctuation, but I do notice how I feel in temperature compared to others. Thank you!
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2007, 12:05 PM
    That was my tipoff it was the middle of January in NY and I'm SWEATING. Went to the doctor shortly after.
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2007, 12:07 PM
    There are times when my A/C reads it is 80 degrees in my apartment, and I feel like an icecicle! My husband always gets on me because he's burning up, but I'm cold so I turn off the A/C. lol.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My hair is falling out [ 31 Answers ]

I'm a 22 year old female and my hair is falling out! There is no history of early baldness in my family, and everything else seems normal. I think normally, 50-100 hairs should be falling out, but around 250-300 hairs have been falling out in a day. There are no bald spots, the hairs are coming...

Hair falling out [ 2 Answers ]

Hi , My problem is commonly found these days in youth. I'm 26 now and have smoked for many years. But currently I stopped smoking from the past couple of months. For the past couple of years my hair started falling severely and almost getting into bald head now. I'm sure smoking could be...

My hair is falling out by the root in clumps! [ 3 Answers ]

I've read lots of information about hair falling out and I realize there could be a lot of causes. I am allergic to wheat (but I have been for over 10 years), I do dye my hair (but have been for 30 years and it's very healthy), and I have started menopause (but no real bad symptroms yet). The thing...

My hair is falling out [ 2 Answers ]

I'm a 22 year old female and my hair is falling out! There is no history of early baldness in my family, and everything else seems normal. I think normally, 50-100 hairs should be falling out, but around 250-300 hairs have been falling out in a day. There are no bald spots, the hairs are coming out...

Chow's hair falling out [ 4 Answers ]

We have had our chow for 8 years, and the past year, he is losing his hair.vet was never able to help. Will his hair ever grow back ? Thanks.

View more questions Search