Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rex123 Posts: 766, Reputation: 100

Jun 25, 2008, 04:15 AM
    Sun screen
    I just read on the internet that dogs can get sun burnt. I never knew this before. Can anyone tell me if Block Up SPF 30 sunblock with aloe is safe for dogs.(It is PABA-Free).
    And if I put it on my dogs nose, won't he just lick it off?
    Thanks in advance to all who respond to my question.:)
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2008, 11:05 PM
    It may make him sick, it's hard to tell. They make special pet sunblock though, that isn't toxic.

Jun 28, 2008, 02:40 AM
    That's what I thought to. But it says that as long as the sun screen is PABA-Free your good to go.
    angel-4460 Posts: 30, Reputation: -2

Jul 1, 2008, 09:26 AM
    I've never heard of that, but I'm sure you'r dog doesn't need sun screen! It has fur to protect it, it's like us kind of... do you poot sun screen on you'r head? (well if you'r a baldie mabey... ) and if you poot it on his nose, yeah it'll prob. Lick it off!
    yesloki Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2008, 11:49 AM

Hi there,

Recently I have joined a tourism company as BDM and wish to have some good sample letters to put better words to attract customers and as weel as suppliers.

Would you mind to help me to get some sample letters of tourism industry?

Rgds // loki
    SweetDee Posts: 534, Reputation: 51

Sep 29, 2008, 09:45 AM

Often pale colored dogs are affected by the sun's rays...

I do recommend sun block as high as you have.

I do not recommend that he have aloe...

They do lick it off, but a lot of it says on... You can ask your dog to "leave it" so he licks less, I hope.

Aloe, is not something an animal needs to ingest internally...

Sep 29, 2008, 11:45 AM

Thanks for the advice SweetDee but summer's over in Nova-Scotia, and though its still spring time its not hot here at all. Normally I dislike the end of summer and the beginning of winter but not this year this year me and rex will be skijoring!! Can't wait!!
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Sep 29, 2008, 03:25 PM

Dogs DO need sunscreen, especially if they are a short hair breed, but Rex needs to be protected too. Their little noses do need to be protected if they are out for a long length of time.

You could try and gently hold Rex's mouth closed until the sunblock dries a little and has time to absorb, or another idea is to buy a sunviser for him. People may look at you strange, but who cares right? You are out in the woods anyway. It will help a little from the sun getting directly on his nose.

I have never come across anything that has said a small amount of Aloe (being a natural plant) would be a danger at all. Rex wouldn't be ingesting an amount the would be poisionous to him.

May I ask? What the heck is skijoring?
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Sep 30, 2008, 05:34 PM

I used normal, waterproof sunscreen on my puppy whenever we took him to the beach. I put some on his nose, paw pads, and belly with no adverse reactions. I think the frequency with which you use it can also depend somewhat on where you live, the time of year, the type of fur he has, and the amount of time he spends under the sun. it's good to know they make dog-specific sunscreen!

I don't think aloe poses any danger whatsoever. Our dog/puppy fur and body cleansing wipes are specifically made with aloe. By the way, aloe juice is very healthy for humans.

Oct 1, 2008, 02:29 AM
    May I ask? What the heck is skijoring?[/QUOTE]

Skijoring is a sport on which person on skis is pulled by one or more dogs. So basically I'll be wearing skis and skiing cross country and he'll be pulling a head. Not quiet sure how its going to go down, it's the first time I've tried it, I've never even skiid before. But I can't wait.

Here's a picture: Name:  skijoring1.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  19.4 KB
    SweetDee Posts: 534, Reputation: 51

Oct 1, 2008, 06:41 AM

Skijoring looks like a BLAST! I would definitely do that sort of think if I had dogs that were "pully"... or at least one "northern-type" dog to lead the rest of my dogs..

I almost had a Malamute a while ago... a rescue. I had all the intentions of teacing that boy to do skijoring. Don't you have to begin the process by teaching your dog to feel comfortable pulling something? Not sure if you're dog is ready...

(Rex123 I didn't originally check the date that you'd originally posted this question... I have to remember to do that!)
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Oct 1, 2008, 06:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rex123 View Post
    May I ask? What the heck is skijoring?

Skijoring is a sport on which person on skis is pulled by one or more dogs. So basically I'll be wearing skis and skiing cross country and he'll be pulling a head. Not quiet sure how its going to go down, it's the first time I've tried it, I've never even skiid before. But I can't wait.

Here's a picture: Name:  skijoring1.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  19.4 KB[/QUOTE]

WOOOOOW, that DOES look like fun!!

The husky in the photo is so large it looks like the woman could saddle it up and ride it around town through the summer! :D

Now I'm staring at my tiny little puppy brainstorming ways he could drag me places. No, it's not going to happen here. :p

I would suggest you try to getting a little cross country skiing under your belt before you harness him up. You just need to get the feel of it in your body. This will help you to keep your balance and give rex an even better shot at succeeding from the start.

Have you thought about trying it with a super light sled or inner tube first? That might be even easier for both of you. I'm not a jealous person, but I think you might be turning me into one! ;)

Oct 1, 2008, 11:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetDee View Post
    Skijoring looks like a BLAST! I would definatly do that sort of think if I had dogs that were "pully"...or at least one "northern-type" dog to lead the rest of my dogs..

I almost had a Malamute a while ago...a rescue. I had all the intentions of teacing that boy to do skijoring. Don't you have to begin the process by teaching your dog to feel comfortable pulling something? Not sure if you're dog is ready...

(Rex123 I didn't originally check the date that you'd originally posted this question...I have to remember to do that!)
    Rex has most of the Lingo down pact, lets go means, go or speed up, a sharp whistle to turn(in either direction) whoa for stop and easy for slow. And he doesn't mind wearing a harness at all, actually he has one on 24/7 and that is why he is used to it.
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Oct 1, 2008, 02:06 PM

Skijoring looks like sooooo much fun! I like the idea of the light sled too, because skiing is out for me, because of my hip and back injuries, but Niki would absolutely LOVE that! I'll keep that in mind when the dreaded snow starts to fall! ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Emerson 20in LCD Flat Screen. Model No. EWL20S5C with split screen [ 5 Answers ]

Hello,I have an eight month old Emerson 20in LCD Flat Screen. Model No. EWL20S5C My sound is great. My picture is distorted. Seems it has a divided screen. With little movement of the actual picture. Colors are way off. And none of the controls work except for channel up and down work, but very...

Blank screen after xp splash screen and then hangs [ 2 Answers ]

My colleagues and I work in a tech environment and we have seen several computers with the same symptoms. Namely a failure to boot xp. After the xp logo screen the screen goes to blank and it just hangs. This looks like a graphics card fault but changing card does nothing. Booting into safe...

Torn Screen In Screen Door [ 3 Answers ]

We have a pretty standard screen door, and the cats ripped a hole in it . And now they are jumping through... I have a big roll of extra scree, are these changeable? OR do you replace the panel? Is there a stronger screen than that flimsy black stuff?

Black screen after windows splash screen windows xp [ 2 Answers ]

Black screen after windows splash screen windows xp

Having a problem moving my address bar from bottom of screen to top of screen [ 11 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I can't seem to bring up an address bar at the top of the screen because when I right click at the top of the page, the options are not lit up. I could only bring up an address bar at the bottom. Since it gets in the way at the bottom, I would like to know if anyone can help me...

View more questions Search