Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    debrahawkins's Avatar
    debrahawkins Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Sep 29, 2016, 08:27 AM
    I have been diagnosed with osteoarthritis on my hip and spine. I have been dealing with a lot of pain for over a year. It is getting worse. What type of doctor specializes in this?
    tickle's Avatar
    tickle Posts: 23,801, Reputation: 2674

    Sep 29, 2016, 08:35 AM
    Orthopaedic surgeons specialize in this, but if you were diagnosed then whatever doctor you went to should be able to refer to a specialist for treatment.
    joypulv's Avatar
    joypulv Posts: 21,593, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

    Sep 29, 2016, 04:37 PM
    Osteoarthritis (commonly called arthritis) needs a good MD who understands that you are in pain and who doesn't brush you off just because so many people have it. You don't need a specialist unless you get to the stage of needing surgery, and you want to get at least a second opinion and do a lot of studying before you have surgery. The results may not be what you hope. Pain management techniques are much more helpful for the spine. Hip surgery is more successful and keeps getting better, as people live longer and have painful hips!

    Before you get into serious painkillers, spend a lot of time reading. Heating pads, good chairs, feather beds or memory foam, lots of pillows that don't flatten, warm showers/baths, and gentle movement at least once an hour are what you need. Ask your doctor how much Tylenol and ibuprofin you can tolerate (kidneys and liver) and look into cannabis oils, if you live where you can get them. Don't buy hemp oil online; it's useless for pain.

    I am in pain too. Many years. Some arthritis, some scarred nerves, some residuals from Lyme and cellulitis. Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Could I have some kind of vitamin deficiency, or osteoarthritis? [ 3 Answers ]

Osteoarthritis? Sudden loss of muscle. Hard to get up stairs.. etc. Very active and have been treated for arthritis for 15 yrs after retiring from riding pro rodeo. 54 yrs old, female, and still very active. Just want to know if I could have some kind of vitamin deficiency?

Looking for miracle cure for my hip osteoarthritis. [ 19 Answers ]

I have been diagnosed with severe osteoarthritis of the hip joint 4 weeks ago. I am only 32, so it was a bit of a disappoitment for me, that I already have an uncurable disease. At least doctors think so, because they rely on science. However I don't believe there is no cure on the world for it....

Osteoarthritis or Rheumatoid Arthritis? [ 4 Answers ]

I work in USA on H1B. My mother (She is in India, 50 years old, 143 pounds, 5 feet) is suffering from joints pain since last 11 years. We have gone through so many test in India but doctors could not find the actual cause of pain and disease. RA factor is also negative. Some Doctors say it is...

View more questions Search