Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Serah121 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2011, 06:40 PM
    Calculus and vectors Question?
    Maximizing Profits: A construction company has been offered a contract for $7.8 million to construct and operate a trucking route for five years to transport ore from a mine site to a smelter. The smelter is located on a major highway and mine is 3 km into a heavily forested area off the road.
    Construction (capital) costs are estimated as follows:
    -Repaving the highway will cost $200000/km
    -A new gravel road from the mine to the highway will cost $500000/km
    Operating Conditions are as follows:
    -There will be 100 round trips each day, for 300 days a year, for each of the five years the mine will be open.
    -Operating costs on the gravel road will be $65/h, and the speed limit will be 40 km/h.
    -Operating costs on the highway will be $50/h, and the speed limit will be 70 km/h.
    Use calculus to determine if the company should accept the contract. Determine the average speeds of the trucks along the paved and gravel roads that produce optimum conditions (Maximum profit). What is the maximum profit?

Please Help me solve this Question and please explain the process and what you're doing. Please and Thank you!
    There's also a picture with this question which you can find on:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/serahafreen/5548307797/

smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 21, 2011, 07:10 PM

Read this first: Expectations for the Homework Help board

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do not simply retype or paste a question from your book or study material

We won't do your homework questions for you.
    You were given the assignment for you to learn.

If you come up with your own answer and post it for us to critique that is within reason.

If you have some SPECIFIC questions that you couldn't find or didn't understand, we may help with that.
    But this is your assignment, so show us you have at least attempted to complete it on your own.

Thank you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Question about Newton' Method in Calculus [ 1 Answers ]

Why does the newton's method not always work well. Also what is a specific function example I could use to support my explanation? My professor wants us to read the subject on our own and then do a project on it! I'm bad enough at math as it is. Please help me understand what this is all about.

Vectors- tension problem (application of addition of vectors) [ 1 Answers ]

An electronic score board of mass 500 kg is suspended from a ceiling making an angle of 70 degrees with the ceiling.The weight is evenly distributed. Determine the tension in the cables in newtons

Gr.12 Calculus and Vectors [ 3 Answers ]

6) Faye, Nene, And Kaplesh leave school from the same front entrance at the same time. Faye walks north at a speed of 1 m/s and Nene jogs west at a speed of 2.5 m/s. Kaplesh walks east at 1.5 m/s for a distance of 12m and then turns south at the same speed. After 2 min, what is the distance between...

About vectors [ 2 Answers ]

I'm facing problem how to visualise vevtors when our sir teaches... what exactly are vectors how do they look like... how can we easily understand these properties such as rings etc

Pre-Calculus Question [ 2 Answers ]

Solve the following for 0 ≤ x ≥2¶ 2sinČ(x)-cos(x)=1

View more questions Search