Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sharbin Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2010, 08:07 AM
    Hot water does not flow in shower when temperature is below -10 celsius
    I installed a shower stall last fall in the basement with everything going well. Winter came and now having problems with hot water not coming down the pipe when temperature plummets below -10 Celsius. I noticed that as the day the temperature goes up the hot water comes down, as the temperature plummets the, hot water stops. Note that the cold water has no issues at all.

Note that to install the shower stall I modified the hot and cold water lines that come to the cloth washer to take a branch to the shower. I installed 2 shut off valves (one for hot and one for cold water pipes) on each of the branches, in addition to the shut off valves on the clothes washer, so that to enable me to shut off the water when servicing the shower stall without having to shut off the main water line.

The issue is not with the shower faucet. I verified that by shutting off the valves on the shower and verifying whether the water comes down to the clothes washer... the cold water does but not the hot water. So now when this happens I cannot even use the washer.

I read about water air block being one of the possible causes. So I did test for that by running a hose from the cold water to the hot water pipes at the clothes washer shut off valves. I turned on the shut off valves and both the cold and hot lines (which is now cold) work at the shower. This means that if there is any air blocks that would have cleared it... that did not work.

I would appreciate any help on this.

Thanks,

Sharbin
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 31, 2010, 08:53 AM

Sounds like the hot line is just freezing. Does it get routed anywhere near an outside wall or other place that may freeze? It is not "air lock"
    sharbin Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2010, 11:24 AM
    Both lines are routed on the interior of the outside wall but have no problem with the cold water... just the hot one. The weird thing is that we ve been living in this house for 16 year and have never had the problem with the hot water coming to the washer before. The only thing that changed is the installation of the shower stall. However, the new pipe extensions are on an interior wall which separates a bedroom in the basement and the washroom where the washer/dryer and shower stall are in.

Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Sounds like the hot line is just freezing. Does it get routed anywhere near an outside wall or other place that may freeze? It is not "air lock"

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No hot water in shower and water heater affects both cold and hot water flow [ 1 Answers ]

1. No hot water coming from shower even though there is hot water coming from face basin in same bathroom and throughout the house( moen plumbing) 2. when water heater valve to house is turned off the cold water and hot water from shower does not flow, yet in other faucets throughout the house...

No flow/hot water in shower [ 2 Answers ]

I have a shower that doesn't get a lot of use in my house, but recently, we recaulked our main bathroom, so I was planning on using that shower. It has a single turn knob for flow and temperature, and when turned past cold to the hot side, the flow is reduced to barely a stream, not even enough to...

No hot water/low water flow when shower is turned on [ 1 Answers ]

My home was built in 2005, I have a shower/tub combo that has only been used once since it was installed. I recently had issues with hearing sucking/draining noise coming from the drain in this bath when toilet was flushed, I discovered the water in the trap had evaporated.. Easy fix! But when I...

Minimal hot water flow to shower [ 3 Answers ]

Hot and cold water runs freely from the faucet to the tub, but when the shower is turned on, the majority of the hot water continues to run from the faucet to tub and not go up through the shower. No problems with cold water. What is wrong and can I fix this?

Shower Hot Water Temperature Standard for Apt. [ 3 Answers ]

Please help! My shower in my apt registers from 95 degrees to 101 degrees and the management is insisting that is standard hot water temperature. I know there is a problem because in the past my shower could register 125 degrees. All my attempts at getting this problem solved have been ignored...

View more questions Search