Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Danah Shane Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2009, 01:13 AM
    What is the distance and bearing from the starting point?
    Boat travels N 28 degrees 20 minutes E for 86 km. and then N 61 degrees 40 minutes W for 124 km. What is the distance and bearing from the starting point?
    Danah Shane Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2009, 01:15 AM

Distance will be 150.90 using pytagorean theorem.. and the bearing is 304 degrees 44 minutes and 55 secs.
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Jul 21, 2009, 01:34 AM
    Yup for the distance, however, you made a mistake with the bearing.

It is 333 degrees 4 minutes and 35 secs.

You missed that point:

let F be the point where the boat is finally situated, O the origin point and I the intermediate point.

let N be the North direction.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Shortest distance from graph of 5+3x-2x^2 to point 2,1 [ 2 Answers ]

I understand how to find the equation of a tangent and a normal line at a given point by using the first derivative, and I know how to find the distance from x,y to 2,1 using the distance formula, but I don't see how to put it together. The book says: Use the distance formula ^2 = + ^2 and...

Distance of a point from bezier [ 8 Answers ]

How to find closest distance of a point P(Px, Py) from a bezier curve given by four control points A, B, C and D?

Trig word problems dealing with distance and bearing [ 1 Answers ]

A hiker travels N 33 degrees W for 15km, then turns 90 degrees and walks 12km in the direction S 57 degrees W At that time how far is the hiker from his starting point? What is his bearing from his starting point? My teacher went over this so fast and I am utterly confused

Distance from a point and line [ 2 Answers ]

Answer how you got that "root2" on the eqn.explain detail

Looking for a starting point [ 2 Answers ]

I have very little experience with web programming but am interested in making a database website. I am very good at creating databases with Access but am working on a mac. What program should I begin learning to use for making a database that would work well online? Also what program would you...

View more questions Search