Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    diaagr16 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2008, 12:19 PM
    projectile angle
    a particle is thrown over a triangle from one end of a horizontal base and gauging the vertex falls on other end of the base .if a and b are base angles and c the angle of projection, prove that
    tan c = tan a + tan b
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jun 23, 2008, 01:10 PM
    I think you mean "grazing the vertex," not "gauging" - right?

This is essentially a math probem -- the ony physics here is in recognizing that the path taken by the thrown particle is a parabola. Let's call the length of the base B, and the maximum height of the parabola H. If we center the parabola on the y-axis, its equation is:

The tangent of angle "a" is and the tangent of angle "b" is . You want to show that the sum of tan(a) and tan(b) is the derivative of the parabola at x = -b/2, which is equal to tan(c). Can you take it from here?
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Projectile motion [ 1 Answers ]

I need help trying to help one of my high school kids answer a projectile motion problem. A bride throws a bouqet from a balcony 20 meters from the ground at an angle of 37 degrees above the horizontal with an initial speed of 10 m/s. The bouqet overshoots the crowd below and lands on the...

An Olympic basketball player shoots towards a basket that is 5.54 m horizontally from her and 3.05 m above the floor. The ball leaves her hand 1.52 m above the floor at an angle of 63.0o above the horizontal. What initial speed should she give the ball so that it reaches the basket and hopefully...

A rocket is launched at an angle of 56.0° above the horizontal with an initial speed of 101 m/s. The rocket moves for 3.00 s along its initial line of motion with an acceleration of 29.0 m/s2. At this time, its engines fail and the rocket proceeds to move as a projectile. a) Find the maximum...

Projectile - what angle? [ 15 Answers ]

Hello All, I have a question on projectiles, but I am unsure what formula I need to use to calculate the required angle. A projectile leaves the nozzle at 14 m/s, at what angle should the nozzle be so that it hits the nearest edge at the top of a wall 0.7m high with a horizontal distance oy...

View more questions Search